Linklaters has been deeply involved in Africa for over 40 years, working on numerous landmark transactions, and building vital business connections in almost every African country.
From our European offices including in London, Paris and Lisbon, with direct links to Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone Africa, as well as our Asia offices and practices (principally China, India, Korea, Singapore and Japan), the Americas (US and Brazil) and the Middle East, we have a proven track record of supporting our clients in achieving their Africa-focused strategies.
What sets our Africa practice apart?
Unique in Africa - we are the only law firm with comprehensive Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone capabilities. This is crucial for clients, as understanding local customs, insights and intricacies is key when working on African matters.
Our collaborative alliance with Webber Wentzel builds on the longstanding and deep rooted relationship between the firms. We work seamlessly together to provide clients with an integrated, fit for purpose offering.
Across Africa, we have longstanding relationships with the best local firms. We work regularly as international counsel, alongside local counsel, on the largest and most innovative transactions across the whole of Africa.
Proven yet innovative product offering
We help our clients mitigate risk and navigate the complex issues that exist in cross-border deals and projects within both established and developing African economies. We deploy this knowhow across the full range of products, including M&A, Projects, Banking, Capital Markets, Dispute Resolution, Antitrust and Environment.
The long-term success of our Africa practice has been underpinned by our expertise in all of the relevant sectors, including: mining, oil and gas, energy, infrastructure, telecoms, banks, private equity, consumer, agribusiness, Healthcare and insurance.
Capturing investment flows
Our Africa practice comprises leading lawyers from our offices worldwide, allowing us to support investment flows into Africa from key trading partners in Asia (such as China, Japan and Korea), the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
For each matter, we put together the most appropriate team from across our network, and we work in a co-ordinated way to provide our clients with the seamless services that they expect in order to complete their transactions across the continent.
A wider commitment
We are committed to community investment in Africa and are involved in pro bono projects across the continent, with a particular focus on health, international development initiatives, human rights, anti corruption and the rule of law.
- Linklaters advises the lenders on the Nacala Corridor project, a rail and port project in Malawi and Mozambique
- Linklaters and Webber Wentzel advise on the restructuring of African Bank
- Linklaters advises the sponsors on their 20 year contract for the sale to BP of LNG produced from the proposed Coral South floating LNG project in Mozambique
- Linklaters advises Steinhoff International Holdings Limited on the US$5.7bn acquisition of a controlling interest in Pepkor Limited
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited and Citicorp Trustee Company Limited on the EUR 1.116.3bn 1.250% Senior Unsecured Guaranteed Convertible Bonds due 2022 issued by Steinhoff Finance Holding GmbH