Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
Duncan Barber is a corporate partner who works exclusively on a full range of insurance sector matters. He has extensive experience in all types of corporate transactions within the sector including public and private (domestic and international, share and portfolio transfer) M&A, reinsurances, distribution arrangements, financings and securitisations, insurance regulatory advice (including on the Solvency II Directive), and other corporate transactions. Duncan is also a contributory author to A Practitioner’s Guide to The FSA Regulation of Insurance.
Recent transactions include advising:
- the underwriters on the IPO of Direct Line Insurance Group;
- on the transfer of Skandia Life’s Finnish branch to Aurum, a newly incorporated Finnish insurer, by way of an insurance business transfer under Part VII of the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, and subsequent sale of Aurum to OP-Pohjola Osk;
- Swiss Re on the acquisition and subsequent rationalisation of GE Life UK (including the sale of the new business function to Liverpool Victoria) and on various internal reorganisations effected under the Part VII FSMA portfolio transfer process;
- Old Mutual in connection with its £3.3 billion takeover of Skandia;
- a major UK insurer on its distribution arrangements.
2001 - to date Partner, Linklaters
1993 - 2001 Solicitor, Linklaters
1991 - 1993 Trainee Solicitor, Linklaters
1990 - Law Society Final Examination
1989 - St John's College, Durham, B.A. in Law