Governments, corporates and financial institutions benefit from Linklaters’ deep knowledge of the wider region, and the individual markets within it, as well as the firm’s global resources.
The fast growing economies of Kazakhstan and Ukraine, and emerging economies in Armenia, Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, have attracted high levels of inward investment and development. Linklaters experience of complex and ground-breaking corporate/M&A, banking, capital markets and project finance across all major industry sectors in the region is unrivalled.
A selection of our banking experience includes advising:
- Kazakhmys Plc on the US$1bn pre-export finance debt facility. The five year facility will provide additional liquidity during the development of major copper mine development projects in Bozshakol and Aktogay in Kazakhstan
- Ukraine acting through the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and represented by the Minister of Finance of Ukraine as the borrower on the sovereign bridge loan facility of US$2bn provided by VTB Bank, a Russian commercial bank
- China Development Bank Corporation, China Construction Bank, China Development Bank Corporation (Inner Mongolia Branch) and China Construction Bank on the US$90.4m Sinosure backed facility for International Bank of Azerbaijan
- the lender on the US$150m pre-export facility for Zangezur Copper Molybdenum Combine, an Armenian copper producer
A selection of our capital markets experience includes advising:
- Equity: advising on a wide range of equity and equity-linked products, including IPOs, secondary public offerings, block trades, convertible and exchangeable bonds, by such companies as Kazakhmys plc, TBC Bank, Kcell, Ferrexpo, Evraz Group, Alliance Oil, Halyk Bank, Cadogan Petroleum, Kazkommertsbank, etc.
- Debt: advising on the standalone and sovereign issues, by such issuers as Kazakhstan Engineering National Company, Halyk Bank, International Bank of Azerbaijan, Georgian Railway, Mriya Agro Holding, DTEK, ATF Bank, Metinvest, Bank of Ukraine, Privatbank, Ukrzaliznytsia, Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, Ferrexpo, Ministry of Finance of Georgia, etc
- Liability management: advising on exchange offers, tender offers and consent solicitations in relation to bond issues by DTEK, BTA Bank, Zhaikmunai LLP, Mriya Agro Holding, Evraz Group, Bank of Georgia, Georgian Railways, Republic of Georgia, First Ukrainian International Bank, Naftogas of Ukraine, Ferrexpo, Interpipe Group, etc.
Corporate / M&A
A selection of our corporate/M&A experience includes:
- Oleg Mkrtchan, a private Ukrainian investor, on the acquisition of a stake in Polyus Gold International
- Halyk Bank on the acquisition of HSBC Bank plc's Kazakhstan subsidiary. The was a very important deal for the Kazakh market, with Kazakhstan's major private bank, Halyk, buying out a Western-run business for the first time
- KAZ Minerals PLC (formerly Kazakhmys PLC) on the US $240m transfer of certain mature assets in the Zhezkazgan and Central Regions of Kazakhstan to Cuprum Holding, a company owned by Vladimir Kim and Eduard Ogays
- the sellers on the sale of their shares in Belarusian Bank for Small Business to Getin Holding S.A.
- Inter RAO on the sale of their Armenian electricity generation and distribution businesses to the Tashir Group
A selection of our project finance experience includes advising:
- the lenders and ECAs, including Hermes, UKEF, SACE, KEXIM, K-Sure, on the multi-sourced project financing of IPCI 2, a US$5.2bn polyethylene plant in Western Kazakhstan
- the consortium of international oil companies on aspects of the Early Oil project, being substantial oil and associated gas developmentin Azerbaijan and its related export arrangements to the Russian and Georgian Black Sea ports
- the borrowers, Alpha Solar LLC, Beta Solar LLC, Gamma Solar LLC and Zeta Solar LLB, on a €270m project involving a €175m project finance loan from VTB Capital, for the development of a 80MW solar energy park, the first of its kind in Ukraine. This was also the first commercial bank project financing in Ukraine
- China Development Bank Corporation Xinjiang Branch as lender on the US$220m term loan facility in favour of Uzbekenergo, the state controlled organisation in control of the power industry in Uzbekistan, to finance the modernisation of the Tashkent thermal power plant
"With ‘high-calibre partners’, Linklaters LLP is ‘among the best’ and provides ‘excellent service through a hardworking, poised and commercial team’.” Legal 500 UK 2014, Emerging markets finance
“Linklaters LLP is ‘a first-choice firm’ across the full spectrum of growth markets.”
Legal 500 UK 2014, Emerging markets finance
- Georgia is a former member of the CIS (withdrawn on 18th August 2008, effective from 18 August 2009)
- Turkmenistan is an associate member of the CIS
- Ukraine is a participating non-member of the CIS