Olivier Van Ermengem
Tax Partner, Luxembourg
"I advise on the international taxation law elements of cross-border investments and combine my legal expertise with a solid knowledge of accounts and finance bringing an all-round commercial risk assessment to any transaction."
Education and qualifications
Olivier is a senior partner of the Tax practice in Luxembourg. Advising mainly large multinational enterprises in corporate and international tax law and investment law for more than 25 years, Olivier has extensive experience in the establishment and reorganisation of multinational corporate tax structures, mergers and acquisitions as well as joint ventures. His expertise further comprises giving general tax advice on international tax questions and state aid issues. He has been significantly involved in tax litigation and transfer pricing.
Over the past years, Olivier has developed particular knowledge in the tax structuring of investments for venture capital, private equity and real estate sector clients. Olivier is a regular speaker at our client seminars and external conferences, where he discusses, among other matters, tax-related challenges for structuring of investment vehicles in Luxembourg – specifically focused nowadays on the impact of the recent BEPS and EU developments on the regulated and the alternative fund industry.
Olivier has advised on many complex, cross-border tax-related transactions. These include advising on:
- the spin-off of Aperam, the stainless steel business, from ArcelorMittal, a leading steel and mining company
- a high yield bond issue by ITT World Directories as part of a defence strategy by ITT against a hostile takeover bid by Hilton and cleared in the then new Belgian X/N system
- the setting up of AXA Core Europe Income Fund, a market leading precedent, as the first open ended fund in the form of a Luxembourg partnership with special liquidity mechanisms
- the IPO of Odigeo, the online travel company, by the Permira and Axa funds and complex pre-IPO restructuring
- a joint venture between Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA) and Henderson to combine their real estate investment management businesses in TH Real Estate
- the set-up of many private equity, real estate and other alternative investment funds for a variety of clients, such as Triton, KKR and Blackrock
Olivier is a member of two tax committees, the Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry (ALFI) and the tax committee of the Luxembourg Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (LPEA). Both of which are currently lobbying to reform and improve Luxembourg’s tax regime.
He is a regular speaker at client seminars. Among many issues, he has spoken about tax-related challenges for special purpose vehicles, developments in the EU and the implications of the base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) initiative of the OECD.
He has taught at the Duke Summer School in Brussels, at the Catholic University of Leuven and at Cambridge University summer programmes, usually on the subject of the tax aspects of cross-border M&A transactions.
Education and qualifications
Olivier studied law at the Catholic University of Leuven, obtained a masters in fiscal management from Solvay Brussels School and obtained an LLM from Duke University School of Law.
Olivier speaks English, French and Dutch