Alexandre de Selys
Managing Associate, Brussels
“I advise clients on corporate transactions of all types, with a specific focus on private M&A deals. I am a calm and resilient advisor who aims to provide pragmatic and creative solutions to complex legal problems to defend the interests of our clients and ensure that their transactions are completed under the best possible conditions.”
Education and qualifications
Alexandre is a Managing Associate in the Corporate and Finance department in Brussels.
He advises clients on a wide range of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganisations, equity issues, and joint ventures as well as general corporate governance and other advisory work.
Alexandre has experience across a variety of sectors and in both a Belgian and international context.
In addition to his experience in corporate law, he has worked on many matters in the field of public and administrative law as well as capital markets and banking.
Alexandre has advised on a wide range of major corporate transactions. These include advising:
- ENGIE in relation to the sale of German and Dutch coal plants to Riverstone Holdings
- Elia Group in relation to its internal reorganisation aiming at isolating and ring-fencing its regulated activities in Belgium from its non-regulated activities and regulated activities outside Belgium
- Assicurazioni Generali in relation to the sale of all shares in Generali Belgium to Athora Holding
- The shareholders of Lampiris in relation to the sale of all their shares to Total
- Orange Belgium on the acquisition of Upsize NV and its subsidiary companies BKM NV and CC@PS from its two original shareholders and founders
Education and qualifications
Alexandre holds a Master of Laws from the University of Brussels and an LL.M from the College of Europe.
Alexandre works in French, English and Dutch.
- « La censure judiciaire des décisions des organes et les procédures de résolutions des conflits internes », in Le nouveau droit des sociétés et des associations : le CSA sous la loupe, Anthemis, 2019 (with E. Pottier)
- « Rachat de titres propres et participations croisées : Les contraintes de l’autocontrôle dans les sociétés cotées et non cotées », Brussels, Larcier, 2016 (with A. Coibion)
- « Commentaire des articles 635 à 644 du Code des sociétés », Systematic Commentary of the Companies Code, Kluwer, loose-leaf, 2015 (with E. Pottier and A. Coibion)
- « Le contrôle dans les groupes de sociétés : autocontrôle, rachat de titres propres et participations croisées », Vanham & Vanham Seminar, 20 February 2014 (with A. Coibion)
- « Commentaire des articles 631 et 632 du Code des sociétés », Systematic Commentary of the Companies Code, Kluwer, loose-leaf, 2013 (with A. Coibion)
- « Les abus de majorité ou de minorité et leur sanctions », Vanham & Vanham Seminar, 14 November 2013 (with E. Pottier and T. L’Homme)