Corporate Partner, Private Equity, Frankfurt/Munich
“I am an experienced PE/M&A lawyer, having spent over 20 years advising on private equity deals in and around Germany and playing a leading role in the development of the country’s legal private equity market. I am hands-on, constructive and pragmatic, and I use the in-depth experience and knowledge I have gained from a wide variety of PE transactions across multiple sectors to help my clients achieve their commercial goals.”
Education and qualifications
Chris is widely recognised as a market-leading private equity lawyer in the German market. He specialises in private equity and cross-border M&A, in particular for financial sponsors, for example on buy-side transactions such as LBOs, take-privates and minority investments, as well as on sale-side transactions such as multi-track exits and refinancings. Chris also supports lenders to private equity transactions on structuring and equity-related issues.
Chris is a renowned expert in large and upper mid-cap segment transactions and has a long track record of successfully representing many well-known private equity clients. He has acted on a wide variety of transactions and investments for numerous financial sponsors on investments in Europe, including in the DACH (German-speaking area), CEE and Nordic regions. Sectors he has covered include business services, chemicals, consumer and retail, financial services, healthcare, industrials and TMT.
Prior to joining Linklaters in 2017, Chris was a partner for over 20 years at a leading global law firm with a variety of roles, including, among others, being head of the German private equity group.
Chris has led on many major PE and M&A transactions. Those that can be disclosed include advising:
- PSP Investments (Public Sector Pension Investment Board) on the acquisition of a 32% stake in the Wittur Group
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) on the stake acquisition of Sportradar for 2,1 bn € from EQT
- the founders and Capiton on the sale of the ZytoService group
- potential investors on the disposal of WMF by KKR
- Advent on various potential investments, including Synlab and GHD
- Bridgepoint on various potential investments and, in particular, its exit from Aenova
- Cinven on various potential investments and, in particular, its acquisition of CeramTec
- CVC on a variety of matters, including: its acquisition of the Flint Group and the build-out through acquisitions in the US; its acquisition of the DSI Group; the exit from Elster; the IPO and sell-down of Sunrise Communications; and the acquisition of AR Packaging in Scandinavia, as well as various potential acquisitions/investments
- KKR on, among others, its acquisition of the A.T.U Group and its investment in WILD Flavors
- Montagu Private Equity on a variety of matters, in particular: its acquisition of BSN medical, two add-on acquisitions and the successful exit; proposed take-private transactions in Germany and Iceland; its investment in and exit from Host Europe; and the acquisition of Artemis Laserkliniken
Education and qualifications
Chris studied jurisprudence at Balliol College, University of Oxford.
He speaks English, German and French.