Corporate/M&A Partner, Moscow
“I am pragmatic, cool under pressure, innovative, solutions-oriented and aim to develop lasting professional relationships with clients to help them negotiate and execute their strategically significant corporate transactions. I understand the local market well, helping international and Russian clients bridge legal, cultural and practical differences when doing business in Russia, CIS and Eastern Europe.”
Education and qualifications
Lev advises Russian and international companies on all aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and restructurings, as well as on general corporate issues. He has specialist expertise in technology, media and telecoms (TMT), internet and new technology, financial institutions, as well as in industrials and chemicals sectors.
Lev is the firm’s marketing and business development partner in Moscow, and chairs the firm’s Moscow office community investment committee, leading a range of ESG initiatives.
- Mr Alexander Tynkovan / M.video / Sber JV: advising Mr Alexander Tynkovan on the shareholders’ arrangements with M.video and Sber in relation to goods.ru, one of the leading Russian online marketplaces.
- Acquisition by AvtoVAZ of a stake in the JV from General Motors: advising AvtoVAZ, a leading Russian car manufacturer, on the acquisition of a 50% stake in the Russian joint venture (GM-AvtoVAZ) from General Motors.
- Sberbank/Yandex JV: advising Sberbank on the acquisition of a 45% stake in Yandex Market B.V. and setting up a RUB 60bn e-commerce joint venture with Yandex on the Yandex.Market platform.
- Recapitalisation and new round of financing of Emerging Travel Group: advising LVL1 on a recapitalisation of Emerging Travel Group (ostrovok.ru and other online travel sites), a sale of a stake in Emerging Travel Group to third-party investors, and related shareholders’ arrangements.
- Acquisition of a stake in MTS Bank: advising MTS on its three-stage acquisition for US$330m of a 72.61% stake in MTS Bank, one of the 50 largest banks in Russia, from the Financial Corporation Sistema, thereby increasing MTS’s ownership in MTS Bank to 99.7%.
- Sale of Russian real estate assets by Immofinanz: advising Immofinanz on the disposal to the Fort Group of 100% of shares of the holding company that owned, through its subsidiaries, a portfolio of five shopping centres in Moscow with an enterprise value of US$1bn and the related refinancing/debt restructuring (Deal of the Year by CRE Moscow Awards).
“US-qualified Lev Loukhton represents domestic corporates in a broad range of transactions. Sources regularly note his client care, with one interviewee remarking: ’His speed of response is second to none; he will always give good advice. He responds any time of day, any day of the week.’ He is also described as being ‘very commercially minded, very knowledgeable and pragmatic’."
Chambers Global 2019, Corporate/M&A: Russia
Education and qualifications
Lev has a B.A. in history and economics (summa cum laude) and holds a Juris Doctor (magna cum laude) from New York University.
Lev is admitted to the bar in New York, USA.
He speaks English and Russian.