Corporate Counsel, Beijing
“I am a long-term trusted advisor for my clients, delivering value to their most important and complex cross-border corporate transactions. I possess a deep understanding of Chinese clients’ needs and am familiar with their working style and internal processes.”
Education and qualifications
As a corporate lawyer in Linklaters’ China team, Alan has helped clients with complex M&A transactions in various sectors covering energy and natural resources, infrastructures and TMT. He works closely with Chinese clients with a focus on outbound M&A and overseas listings. The Chinese SOEs, for whom he has acted as the standing international legal advisor, include SDIC, PowerChina, CCCC and China Huadian.
Alan is a team player who is both logical and analytical. He is a creative problem solver whose efficient working style allows him to successfully juggle competing priorities. His cross-sector experience enables him to strategically analyse Chinese clients’ commercial issues from a practical legal perspective.
Alan’s representative experience includes advising:
- China Communications Construction Company Limited, a major SOE who is actively engaging in infrastructure projects in the Belt and Road countries, on its various investments and acquisitions in the US, Indonesia and Africa;
- PowerChina on its various investments and acquisitions in Germany and Australia;
- SDIC on its acquisition of Appol Group in Poland, one of the largest apple juice producers in Europe;
- China Huarong Asset Management Co., Ltd., one of the largest financial asset management companies in China, on its US$2.3bn global offering of H shares;
- Inner Mongolia Yitai Coal Co., Ltd. on its US$902m global offering of H shares, making it the first B-share company to issue H shares in China.
Alan’s published works include:
- “Caveat Emptor – how legal due diligence can protect the interests of buyers in international transactions”, published on State-owned Assets Report administered by SASAC
- “Localisation strategy in outbound investment” published on International Project Contracting & Labour Service Journal administered by MOFCOM
Alan is an external tutor at the Renmin University of China and has completed a post-doctoral study at the finance institute of the China Academy of Social Sciences, the top think-tank affiliated with the State Council of PRC government.