Financial Regulation Partner, Amsterdam
“I am financial regulation specialist, advising clients on the full range of financial regulatory law in the context of the Dutch and European regulatory framework.”
Education and qualifications
Bas heads the Financial Regulation practice of the Amsterdam office. His practice encompasses regulatory laws and regulations in a broad sense. Bas is active in, among other things, licensing, prudential rules, corporate governance (including fit and proper testing), and compliance and integrity-related issues (anti-money laundering and terrorist financing, market abuse, etc.). He assists clients with regulatory application procedures and supports transactions with financial regulatory aspects, including mergers and acquisitions in the financial sector. Bas also advises on investigations, enforcement aspects and communications with regulators.
Bas worked a number of years at the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (Autoriteit Financiële Markten, AFM) and the Dutch Bank (De Nederlandsche Bank, DNB). He also headed the Integrity Supervision Department of the Central Bank of Aruba, a department he also partly set up. This unique experience has given him a network within, and understanding of, these key Dutch regulatory bodies.
- a large Dutch bank on the regulatory aspects of the sale of a mortgage loan portfolio, including regulatory prior approval procedures
- various Dutch corporates on the application of a financial services license and related discussions with the AFM
- a UK investment firm on the application of an AFM licence and the obtaining a declaration of no-objection from DNB
- a Dutch bank on the regulatory aspects of an IPO, including obtaining prior approval in the form of a declaration of no-objection from DNB
- a large international bank on the transfer of assets and liabilities from its Dutch banking subsidiary to its Dutch branch, including obtaining DNB’s prior approval the ECB to withdraw the banking licence
- the run-off of Dutch bank, including obtaining a declaration of no-objection from DNB and the withdrawal of the banking licence
- various Dutch and international financial institutions on the regulatory aspects of intra-group reorganisations
- an international insurer on the regulatory aspects of the reorganisation of its Dutch operations
- a large international insurance group on the acquisition of a Dutch insurer, obtaining a declaration of no-objection from DNB, setting up a new holding structure and corporate governance aspects
- a Dutch asset manager regarding an internal market abuse investigation
Bas regularly publishes in national and international magazines and journals in the areas of financial and integrity supervision.
- Regularly contributes to the Dutch magazine ‘Ondernemingsrecht’ (Corporate Law Magazine).
- Regularly contributes to a Dutch publication (de Groene Serie - Toezicht Financiële Markten – Wolter Kluwer), which offers authoritative insights on the laws and regulations relating to the supervision of the financial markets.
- Bas is a member of the Dutch Financial Law Association (Vereniging voor Financieel Recht).
Education and qualifications
He speaks English and Dutch.
- Derde landen beleid, in MiFID II- ‘Vanuit praktijk en theorie bezien’, FJR 13, maart 2018 (samen met Lotte van den Broek)
- The new European standard on assessing bank managers, Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation, januari 2018
- De betekenis van ‘soft law’ in de financiële toezichtwetgeving, Ondernemingsrecht, december 2017 (samen met Victor de Serière)