Head of U.S. Capital Markets, New York
Education and qualifications
Caird has over 39 years’ experience advising supranationals, banks, corporations and funds on transactions involving international capital markets, banking, structured finance products, structured notes, derivatives, commodities, fund financing, fund-linked products and securities lending and clearing services.
Cairds acts for issuers or managers on international debt offerings or establishment of, and draw-downs under, medium-term note programs and commercial paper programs by supranationals, banks and corporations; arrangers or fund investors on complex structured financings, covered bond issues, credit-linked instruments, structured notes, securitizations, receivables financings and other complex capital markets and loan instruments; arrangers or lenders on loans; arrangers or lenders on hedge fund liquidity or leverage, whether in the form of loans, securities or derivatives; banks and counterparties on a variety of OTC derivatives; banks and trading houses on commodities acquisitions and financings; and banks on restructuring and liability management transactions.
Caird has advised on many significant transactions. Highlights include advising:
- a U.S. bank on various structured commodities transactions
- a U.S. fund on a programme to acquire corporate receivables
- a U.S. fund in various cross-border asset acquisitions or originalities
- the U.S. aspects of European Securitizations
- leverage providers on multiple variable funding note facilities made available to hedge funds or private equity funds
- supranationals on their carbon credit-linked securities issues
- a U.S. bank on its structured notes program for the U.S. capital markets
- a U.S. fund on its purchase of first loss risk on various international loan portfolios
- a private U.S. bank on repackagings of emerging markets assets
Caird was an Adjunct Professor at Columbia Law School in New York from 2005 to 2015.
Caird has co-authored many client memoranda and articles published in various industry publications, including:
- “The U.S. Margin Requirements: The Treasury Affiliate Exclusion and the Captive Finance Company Exclusion,” Linklaters U.S. Alert, April 2017
- “The U.S. Margin Requirements: The Impact on Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) used in Securitizations, Repackagings and other Structured Products,” Linklaters U.S. Alert, November 2016
- “Applying the Volcker Rule’s Covered Fund Definition Separately to Individual Asset Pools within Multi-Issuance Special-Purpose Vehicles”, The Journal of Structured Finance, Vol. 20, No. 4, Winter 2015: pp. 41 – 57
Education and qualifications
Caird received a first class honours degree (Licentiate in Laws) from Buckingham University and attended College of Law where he completed the Law Society Part 2 examinations.