Carlton is a Directory-rated private equity and M&A expert, with more than 20 years’ experience of advising on domestic and international M&A and corporate finance transactions.
In his private equity practice, Carlton advises numerous financial sponsors and their portfolio groups on all forms of leveraged acquisitions, P2Ps, consortium deals, private sales, IPO exits, refinancings and restructurings.
As an M&A expert, Carlton advises corporates and investment banks on private and public mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate finance transactions, both in the UK and internationally.
Carlton was seconded as a Senior Executive to the UK Takeover Panel for two years in the late 1990s, where he was responsible for regulating the conduct of numerous public takeovers. As a result, he has particular prowess in public M&A, regularly leading teams on many takeovers throughout Europe, as well as in the UK.
Significant private equity deals including advising:
- Carlyle on its 2020 P2P of Harwood Wealth Management
- KKR on its Portuguese sale of Cabonitel, owner of the Nowo and Oni cable operators
- Apax Partners on its acquisition of Invent Farma, a Spanish pharmaceutical company
- Carlyle on its £500m P2P of Innovation Group
- Hony Capital on its acquisition of Pizza Express
- CIBC, Apollo and others on their sale of Burton’s Biscuits to Ontario Teachers
- Charterhouse and Card Factory on Card Factory’s IPO, and AnaCap and Aldermore Bank on Aldermore’s IPO
- a consortium including GIC, Ontario Teachers and JC Flowers on their US$1.8bn investment in the Brazilian BTG Pactual Bank
- Anacap on its creation of an NPL platform through a high yield refinancing
Significant general M&A deals including advising:
- Bright Foods and Barings Private Equity Asia on their US$1.7bn sale of Weetabix to Post
- Unicredit on the €6bn agreed joint venture of its fund management business, Pioneer Investments, with the asset management businesses of Santander, Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic, (subsequently terminated) and the later sale of Pioneer to Amundi
- Citi on the acquisition of Egg Bank and on various auction disposals, including Cabot
- On spin-offs of various asset management teams from banks including EMSO from Citi, MidOcean from Deutsche Bank, EISER from BNP, InfraRed from HSBC and Guy Hands/Terra Firma from Nomura
- Aquarius Platinum on its takeover of Ridge Mining
- Gerry Ford and Paladin on their consortium takeover of Caffè Nero
- Siebe on its £7bn merger to form Invensys
Carton is a regular speaker at conferences on the subject of takeovers. He was a member of the British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (BVCA) working group on key changes to the UK Takeover Code and is the author of a chapter in Takeovers: Law and Practice, a leading textbook on UK takeovers.
Carlton studied law at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University.