Partner, Frankfurt / Munich
"Real Estate inspires me, the challenge of transactions and pushing your deal through is my motivation. Choosing Linklaters means working with Germany´s leading real estate lawyers who will share their experience and market insights with you."
Education and qualifications
Carsten has specialised experience in real estate transactions and private equity real estate. He has been involved in a number of high-profile transactions with a total volume of several billion Euros. His experience includes asset and share deals as well as portfolio transactions in all asset classes including offices, retail and logistics. He recently advised on one of the largest ever recorded private equity real estate transactions and on the bidding process for the largest portfolio transaction in Germany over the last 10 years.
“One of the most renowned figures in the real estate legal sector”; “He is very well experienced and combines high legal qualification and strong negotiation skills” (Chambers Europe-wide 2021, Real Estate)
Carsten is frequently recommended as one of the leading real estate and private equity real estate lawyers in Germany (JUVE German Commercial Law Firms Directory, Chambers, The Legal 500, Handelsblatt Best Lawyers, IFLR1000, Who is Who Legal). He is ranked by Chambers as one of the Top 10 real estate lawyers and by JUVE German Commercial Law Firms Directory as one of the Top 12 real estate lawyers under the age of 50. Carsten won the Wealth & Money Management Award “Best for Real Estate Private Equity 2018 - Germany”.
Before joining Linklaters, Carsten was Partner and Head of DLA Piper’s International and German Real Estate Practice.
- Aermont Capital: advising on the sale of the high-rise building “Marienturm” in Frankfurt to DWS / NPS with a total volume of over €800m and the neighbouring office building “Marienforum” to Generali.
- Blackstone: advising on the acquisition of numerous logistics assets and portfolios worth billions of euros as well as on the sale of the logistics platform Logicor with a value of over €12.25bn.
- BNP Paribas REIM: advising on the acquisition of the office buildings "Deichtor Office Center" in Hamburg, “Franklin Haus” in Berlin and “Kallmorgen Tower” in Hamburg and several healthcare objects.
- Catella Real Estate: advising on the acquisition of the project development “Auf AEG” in Nuremberg in different development phases and in different steps as well as on the acquisition of other office objects.
- LaSalle Investment Management: advising on the acquisition of the office building “Morrow” in Frankfurt and the real estate portfolio “ElseBella” in Munich.
- MEAG, the real estate asset manager of Munich RE: advising on the acquisition of the €400m retail portfolio “Touchdown”.
- Savills IM: advising on the sale of the office portfolio “Max & Merle” to WealthCap and on the acquisition of a large office complex in Munich.
- Swiss Life and BVK: advising on the acquisition of the office building “OSKAR” in Munich.
- Union Investment: advising on the bidding process for the acquisition of the “Millennium Portfolio” from Generali Lebensversicherung with a value of over €2.5bn, on the acquisition of the “Medicus” portfolio consisting of six mixed-use properties in Berlin and Dusseldorf, the acquisition of the objects “Media Works” and the new German patent and trademark office in Munich (both with a volume of over €500m), and on the acquisition of “Ericus-Contor” in Hamburg.
- WealthCap: advising on the acquisition of the object "Gewandhaus" in Ludwigsburg and the acquisition of the Brain Lab AG headquarter in Munich and the conclusion of a joint venture for residential properties with Domicil and for retail properties with BBE.
- 2017 to date Linklaters LLP, Frankfurt and Munich
- 2010 - 2017 DLA Piper, Frankfurt and Munich
- 2004 - 2010 Hogan Lovells, Munich
- Frankfurt a.M. and Munich Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member of the Advisory Board Germany (2020 – today), Local Chair Munich and Member of the Executive Committee Germany (2012 - 2018)
- Association Real Estate Research/International Real Estate Society (IRES)
- German/British Lawyers Association
- German/American Lawyers Association
Education and qualifications
- 2004 Master of Laws (LL.M.): King's College London
- 2003 Doctorate: Göttingen and Frankfurt
- 1994 – 1999 Law Studies: University of Heidelberg, Göttingen and Graz/Austria
Carsten speaks German and English.
- Lexology Getting The Deal Through Real Estate M&A Guide 2019 and 2020 for Germany
- Chambers Real Estate Global Practice Guide 2020, 2021 and 2022 for Germany