Partner, São Paulo, New York
“My practice focuses on cross-border corporate and finance transactions, with longstanding knowledge of deals in Brazil and throughout in Latin America. I take a pragmatic approach to transactions and aim to deliver a deal that is legally sound and commercially solid.”
Education and qualifications
Gabriel has worked at Linklaters since 2007 and focuses his practice on M&A and private equity, especially in Latin America. He has extensive experience advising a global client base of leading corporations and financial sponsors on complex, cross-border transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, equity and asset sales, private equity and joint ventures.
He also advises clients on banking and capital markets transactions, including trade finance transactions and local and international offerings of equity and debt securities, acting both for financial institutions and corporate issuers.
Gabriel has worked extensively in Latin America and the U.S. Highlights include advising:
- the U.S. private equity fund Digital Colony on the acquisition of Andean Tower Partners, an owner and operator of wireless communication infrastructure in the Andean region, as well as its bid for several other digital infrastructure assets in Africa, Europe and South America
- the Brazilian protein company Marfrig on the US$2.4bn sale of its U.S. and Asia chicken business Keystone to Tyson Foods and on the US$969m acquisition of a 51% interest in the U.S. beef processor National Beef
- Petrobras on the US$562m sale of its U.S. refinery Pasadena to Chevron, on the US$1.1bn joint venture with Murphy Oil to exploit oil producing assets in the U.S., and on the US$1.53bn sale of its 50% interest in a Nigerian oil business
- China Merchants Port on the US$925m acquisition of a 90% interest in TCP, Brazil’s second largest container terminal
- Marfrig on several offerings of senior notes totaling over US$5bn and several cash tender offer for the acquisition of outstanding notes totaling over US$2bn
- Abengoa Yield on the US$327m registered secondary public offering of 10,580,000 ordinary shares in the United States
- the underwriters on several offerings of senior notes by Suzano totaling approximately US$4bn
- the Rohatyn Group and other private equity funds on a U.S. dollar denominated senior secured term loan to the IT services provider Cimcorp for the acquisition of Resource group
- the Bank of Nova Scotia, BNP Paribas, JPMorgan and Mizuho, as lenders, in connection with a US$300m Revolving Loan Facility and a US$200m Term Loan Facility to Raizen
- the lenders on a US$500m export prepayment revolving credit facility and two US$750m export prepayment term loan facilities to Suzano
Gabriel is qualified as an attorney under New York and Brazilian laws, and was recognized as leading Corporate/M&A practitioner by Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, IFLR and Super Lawyers.
Education and qualifications
Gabriel holds an LL.M. degree from Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He also holds Brazilian law degree from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, and a specialization degree in Brazilian Corportate Law from Fundação Getúlio Vargas de São Paulo.
Gabriel is fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish.