Corporate and Private Equity Partner, London
"I have an all-round corporate practice advising both corporate and financial sponsor clients on a wide range of corporate finance transactions. I am often called upon to advise at Board level, and offer commercially minded, pragmatic guidance on our clients’ most important deals and corporate governance issues."
Education and qualifications
Iain is a corporate and private equity partner whose practice encompasses public and private M&A, IPOs, secondary capital raisings, joint ventures and corporate governance. Iain frequently advises corporates, financial sponsors and investment banks. He has acted on some of the largest and most complex transactions in the market having a particular focus on public M&A and IPO transactions.
Iain is a key boardroom adviser to many of the firm’s FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 clients. In this capacity, he regularly advises a wide selection of leading companies and sponsors across many different business sectors, including those in the oil and gas, financial institutions, telecoms, retail, mining and infrastructure sectors. Earlier in his career, he was seconded to two leading investment banks.
Iain has led many large-scale and high-profile M&A transactions (both public and private) for corporate and financial sponsor clients and on international capital raisings. These include advising:
Arcus Infrastructure on the £1.1bn sale of a 65% stake in Forth Ports to PSP
intu Properties on the potential offer by Brookfield, Peel and Olayan
Bill Kenwright and others on the sale of Everton F.C. to Farhad Moshiri
Starwood Capital on its potential bid for IWG plc
PSP Investments on its investment in the £2.2bn Silver Lake-backed offer for ZPG plc
- ION Investment Group on its £1.5bn recommended offer for Fidessa group PLC
- intu Properties on the £3.4bn recommended offer from Hammerson plc
- Aldermore Group on its £1.1bn recommended acquisition by First Rand
- TDR Capital on the £108.5m offer by Stonegate for Revolution Bars
- Pollen Street Capital and BC Partners on their £842m hostile offer for Shawbrook
- on the IPOs of Biffa, CMC Markets, Aldermore, Card Factory, Just Eat, Manx Telecom, Investec and Fresnillo
- CK Hutchison on its £10.5bn potential acquisition of O2 and its £300m acquisition of UK Broadband, via its Three business
- Siemens on its £950m acquisition of Rolls-Royce’s energy gas turbines business and on its £1.7bn acquisition of Invensys’s rail automation business
- Centrica on its £160m acquisition of ENER-G
- Engie on its €20.2bn reverse takeover of International Power and subsequent €9.5bn cash offer for the minority stake
- Investec on their takeover offers for the Evolution Group and Rensburg Sheppards
- intu Properties on its £1.6bn acquisition of the Trafford Centre and defence of a hostile approach from Simon Property Group
- Investec on the disposal of its Kensington mortgage business to TPG and Blackstone
- on secondary issues for issuers including Investec, Fresnillo, British Land, Perform, Kenmare Resources, intu Properties, Meggitt and SEGRO
Iain also advises clients on structured solutions to pension funding deficits.
Iain is a member of the City of London Law Society, where he has been part of the working group consulting on amendments to The City Code on Takeovers and Mergers.
Iain is recognised by Legal 500 as a leading individual in large scale M&A transactions.
Education and qualifications
Iain studied law at the University of Nottingham.