Competition/Antitrust Partner, Brussels
“I advise on all aspects of competition law, with particular expertise in multi-jurisdictional merger control and complex remedy cases.”
Qualified in Belgium, Isabel advises on all aspects of EU and Belgian competition law including merger control, abuse of dominance, cartel practices and compliance issues. Isabel has comprehensive experience in advising clients on multi-jurisdictional transactions, including on complex remedy structures. She has represented clients with merger control filings across various European and international jurisdictions, with a particular focus on the European Commission and Belgian Competition Authority.
Isabel also regularly represents clients in antitrust investigations, including advising clients in case of dawn raids and on leniency questions. She has also worked with clients on internal audits into potential infringements of Articles 101 and 102 TFEU (and Belgian equivalent provisions).
Isabel has worked in Linklaters’ Brussels, London and New York offices and advises clients from a wide variety of sectors, including healthcare, food, energy, consumer goods and basic industries.
Isabel has been a key advisor in many of the market’s major competition transactions. These include:
- Scripps Networks Interactive in relation to its acquisition (US$ 14.6 billion) by Discovery Communications
- McKesson/Celesio on a recent 3-to-2 merger in pharmaceutical wholesaling in Belgium
- Delhaize on its €28 billion merger with Ahold, one of the largest cross-border mergers in Europe and the largest Belgian deal completed in years
- EQT and Investor in relation to their sale (US$ 4 billion) to Baxter International of Gambro, a globally leading manufacturer of dialysis devices
- Johnson & Johnson on various acquisitions and disposals including its acquisition of the medical devices company Synthes
- De Beers /Spira (including extensive litigation before the Belgian competition authority and courts)
- Various clients in the healthcare and consumer goods sector on competition law investigations and compliance, including a healthcare company in one of the European Commission’s reverse payment investigations.
Isabel regularly publishes on European and Belgian competition law topics. Recent publications include:
- X. Taton, T. Franchoo, I. Rooms and N. Baeten, “Chronique de jurisprudence (2011-2015) – Overzicht van rechtspraak (2011-2015). Les actions civiles pour infraction au droit de la concurrence – Private handhaving van het mededingingsrecht”, Tijdschrift voor Belgisch Handelsrecht / Revue de Droit Commercial Belge, 2017/8.
Isabel studied law at the University of Ghent. She also holds an LL.M in European Law from King’s College London.
She speaks Dutch, English and French.