Dispute Resolution, Counsel, Frankfurt
Education and qualifications
Jan represents clients in complex disputes before state courts and in international arbitration proceedings.
His practice focuses on contractual disputes and disputes between joint venture partners in connection with industrial-, infrastructure- and energy plant projects. He also focuses on drafting contracts and providing ongoing contractual and strategic advice to core clients, including extrajudicial dispute resolution options.
Jan regularly acts as the global or chief German employment law adviser on complex matters, including advising:
- German Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure: representation in two ad-hoc arbitration proceedings against the Toll Collect consortium and Toll Collect GmbH in connection with the delayed commissioning of the truck toll system.
- An internationally active photovoltaics company: Advising in connection with joint venture disputes and the restructuring of a PV joint venture in Japan.
- UniCredit: representation in several court proceedings in the Netherlands and Germany in connection with a claim under a performance bond on first demand for the construction of a waste incineration plant in the Netherlands.
- A global energy supply company: Representation in a DIS arbitration to enforce additional costs against a joint venture partner in connection with the construction of a coal-fired power plant.
- A leading manufacturer of screw foundations: Advice and representation in an ICC arbitration against the Indian contract partner to claim outstanding remuneration in connection with the construction of screw foundations for a solar park in Zambia.
- A German energy supply company: Representation in a DIS arbitration against the joint venture partner claiming repayment for unauthorized billing under a “Pendelkonto”.
- An internationally operating energy company: representation in a DIS arbitration in connection with the defense against claims for damages arising from three failed project development contracts for the construction of biomass power plants in Spain.
- German Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure: Advice in connection with the failed passenger car toll after the ECJ ruling.
- A leading global manufacturer of agricultural and construction machinery: Advice and representation in connection with the defense against claims arising from an authorized dealer agreement with reference to Iran.
- Advice on the distribution of medical protective equipment and representation in various disputes relating to supply contracts and disruptions in the supply chain.
Education and qualifications
Jan studied law at University of Wuerzburg and University at Liverpool
He speaks German and English.
- „Schadensersatz wegen Cyberattacken nach der DSGVO“, ZIP 2019, 2092-2096 (together with Dr. Christian Schmitt)
- comparative review of the concept of hardship of 18 jurisdictions, 2020, available at: https://www.linklaters.com/en/insights/publications/2020/february/hardship-a-comparative-review-2020
- “German fund company sued for “greenwashing”, 23. Februar 2021, available at: (https://www.linklaters.com/en/insights/blogs/linkingesg/2021/february/german-fund-company-sued-for-greenwashing)
- „Cyber hack challenges in international arbitration“, 22. April 2021, available at: https://www.linklaters.com/de-de/insights/blogs/arbitrationlinks/2021/april/cyber-hack-challenges-in-arbitration