Lothar Van Driessche
Senior Energy Lawyer, Brussels
Advocaat (Member of the Brussels Bar)
Part of the Brussels Real Estate & Development team and the Global Energy & Projects Group.
Involved in transactional work, energy and infrastructure projects, covering aspects of financing, construction and regulation, with a specific focus on Belgian and European energy law.
Combining a sound expertise in energy regulation, construction law, risk analysis, project and infrastructure finance in general with a detailed knowledge about the functioning of power and gas markets and network infrastructure, including interconnectors, tariffs and capacity mechanisms.
Specific experience in risk analysis for PPP projects based on several types of contractual structures (DBM, DBFM, DBFMO).
Law and practice areas: EU and Belgian energy law and regulation, public and private infrastructure projects (PPP, renewable power production, network infrastructure), public procurement regulation and government contracting, construction law, real estate finance and financial leasing, securities, commercial and international trade law.
Sector areas: energy & utilities, public infrastructure, transport, real estate, healthcare, banks.
Published and co-edited various publications on topics of European and Belgian energy regulation and project finance. Regularly delivering seminars and contributing to recurring publications including the Periodical on the Laws of Network Industries (RDIR/TRNI) and the Energy Yearbook published annually by the Flemish Association for Energy Law (VlaVER) in cooperation with the Institute for Environmental and Energy Law of the K.U. Leuven.
- March 2012 Associate, Linklaters, Brussels
- 2011 - 2012 Trainee, European Commission D-G Energy, Unit A.1 – General Energy Policy, Brussels
- 2010 - 2011 Freie Universität Berlin (Free University of Berlin), Master of Business, Competition and Regulatory Law (MBL)
- 2008 - 2010 Universiteit Gent (Ghent University), Master of Law
- 2005 - 2008 Universiteit Gent (Ghent University), Bachelor of Law
Dutch, English, French, German
- October 2018 – “Electricity Regulation 2019 – Belgium” in John Dewar (ed.), Getting The Deal Through
- March 2017 - "Energy Disputes 2017 - Belgium" in William D. Wood, Neil Q. Miller, Lauren H. Brogdon and Holly Stebbing (eds.), Getting The Deal Through
- April 2016 - "Unbundling en de gemeentelijke participaties in de energiemarkt" in K. Deketelaere en B. Delvaux, Jaarboek Energierecht 2015, Antwerpen, Intersentia, 2016, 157-206
- April 2015 - "Tussen droom en daad. Het Europese kader voor capaciteitsmechanismen" in K. Deketelaere en B. Delvaux, Jaarboek Energierecht 2014, Antwerpen, Intersentia, 2015, 1-49
- April 2014 - “Belgische kader van toepassing op de elektriciteits- en gasmarkt – EU’s mini me?” in K. Wauters, B. Delvaux & B. Vanheusden (eds.), Invloed van het EU-recht op het Belgische bestuursrecht, Die Keure, Brugge, 2014,187-263
- June 2013 - “A New Legal Framework for EU Energy Infrastructure Development and Finance”, Renewable Energy Law and Policy Review (RELP) / Lexxion, volume 4, 2013-1