Maikel van Wissen
Managing Associate, Brussels
"I am an experienced competition lawyer, advising clients on complex national, European and global competition law matters. Clients value my "can do" mentality, combining in-depth knowledge and strategic insights, with a strong commercial sense for what drives businesses."
Education and qualifications
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company in relation to its £46bn recommended offer for Shire plc, the largest ever outbound M&A deal by a Japanese company
- SIX Group in relation to its US $3bn partnership with Worldline, creating a pan-European payments provider
- A consortium of international banks in relation to the set-up of Payconiq. Payconiq is the first international cross-border payments service that enables consumers to make online, on-the-go and peer-to-peer payments
- Recruit Holdings Co. on its €1.42bn all-cash tender offer for USG People
- Air France-KLM in defence of multiparty follow-on litigation in the Netherlands relating to the the European Commission's Air Cargo decision
- A healthcare company in one of the EC’s recent reverse payment investigations
- Mediahuis on its public offer for Telegraaf Media Groep, creating a leading multimedia company in the Dutch-Belgian market
- EQT and Investor in relation to their sale (US $4 billion) to Baxter International of Gambro, a globally leading manufacturer of dialysis devices
Maikel is a former board member of the Dutch Competition Lawyers Association and an editor of one of the leading Dutch competition journals. He regularly publishes and speaks on a variety of EU competition law topics, including innovations in competition law and antitrust damages litigation.
Recent publications include:
Maikel van Wissen & others, "Interview with Johannes Laitenberger – a competition case handler who became Director-General", MP, December 2017
Maikel van Wissen & Lodewick Prompers, “Big Data, Big Concerns? EU Competition Law Implications of the Changing Role of Big Data in the Financial Services Industry”, Competition Policy International, December 2016