Associate, New York
Education and qualifications
Menaka is an attorney in Linklaters' International Governance and Development and Dispute Resolution Practices. She has a broad range of international experience, including at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, the court conducting trials of the Khmer Rouge regime responsible for the Cambodian genocide. She has also worked for the United Nations Office for South-South Co-operation, including as a rapporteur for the 2013 Global South-South Development Expo in Nairobi.
Menaka is part of the Linklaters team convening the annual seminar Advancing Good Governance in International Development Seminar in Oxford. The seminar brings together thought leaders from the academic, donor, NGO, government and private sector to address governance challenges confronting the international development sector.
Representative experience in International Governance and Development includes:
- advising a multinational based in Latin America on issues of governance and compliance
- reviewing and making recommendations on governance for the United Nations Development System
- representing an Asian NGO in connection with an investigation by USAID and related governance issues
- advising the World Humanitarian Summit Secretariat on a number of issues relating to governance in the humanitarian sector
Representative experience in Dispute Resolution includes advising:
- Norske Skog in connection with bondholder litigation brought in the Southern District of New York to prevent a planned debt exchange
- a major Japanese financial institution on a financial regulatory investigation
- a multinational mining company in connection with its internal investigation into Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues
- a pharmaceuticals company in connection with an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission
- a Philippine NGO in connection with an investigation by USAID and related governance issues
Menaka is a member of the United Nations Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
Menaka writes on a variety of topics relating to governance and international development. Her recent publications include:
Co-author, “New Global Child Support Convention Holds Promise for Millions of Children Worldwide”, The Huffington Post, May 2014
Co-author, “Governance for the United Nations Development System: Adapting to Meet the Challenges of a Changing World,” Linklaters LLP, May 2016
Co-author, “Ethics & Compliance, Crisis Management and the Rule of Law,” Linklaters LLP, May 2017