Managing Associate, London
I am an experienced dispute resolution lawyer whose clients include major corporates, investment funds and high net worth individuals. My priorities are client service and understanding the objectives of my clients. I am practised in designing and implementing a litigation strategy tailored to each dispute.
Education and qualifications
Mikhail’s practice focuses on international commercial arbitration and litigation.
He has particular expertise in disputes arising out of M&A transactions and complex shareholder conflicts. He regularly acts in claims concerning assets in the emerging markets and the CIS, frequently advising clients from those jurisdictions. Mikhail has experience of arbitrations conducted under the major arbitral institutions and rules, including LCIA, ICC, SCC and UNCITRAL arbitrations.
Mikhail also advises on financial sanctions and compliance issues. His experience covers a broad range of sectors, including manufacturing, metals and mining, retail, media and financial services.
- Defending the minority shareholders of a major steel enterprise in an LCIA arbitration brouht by the majority shareholders. The claims exceeded US$1bn and were defeated in their entirety. Our clients’ counterclaim succeeded in full
- Defending the former family-owners of an Eastern European agricultural business from fraud and breach of contract claims, involving multi-jurisdictional parallel proceedings
- Acting for an international bank in an ICC arbitration involving over 2,000 claims, arising out of the disposal of its assets in South America
- Representing an international media group in bringing claims worth over US$100m against the sellers of the satellite television provider with over 3m subscribers
- Acting for high-net-worth individuals in an LCIA arbitration arising out of the withholding of deferred consideration of US$300m, due following their sale of a gaming business
- Representing a client in the hospitality sector in a High Court action for fraud and breach of contract claims against the sellers of a food and beverage company
- Represented European lenders in a major Russian energy project in obtaining authorisations required by the Russia/Ukraine sanctions regime from UK and EU authorities
Mikhail is a qualified Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience.
Mikhail is a member of: the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; ICC Young Arbitrators Forum; LCIA Young International Arbitration Group; and Young Istanbul Arbitration Centre.
Mikhail has lectured on International Arbitration at the Moscow State University and at the ICC YAF.
Education and qualifications
Mikhail has an LLB from the University of Bristol. He completed the LPC at BPP Law School, London. He also holds a Diploma in Business Administration.Mikhail is fluent in English and Russian. He is proficient in Greek.
Sovereign Immunity in Practice: Caution Prevails (International Comparative Legal Guide to Litigation and Dispute Resolution, 6th edition)
Current Anti-Money Laundering Measures and Possible Future Developments (International Comparative Legal Guide to Litigation and Dispute Resolution, 5th edition)
English Court examines approach to interpretation of foreign law (LawOfNationsBlog.com)