Competition/Antitrust Counsel, Brussels
"I am a European and U.S. qualified lawyer with more than 20 years of experience in global merger control and complex antitrust investigations. I have extensive experience advising clients from different continents (U.S., Europe and Asia). I provide pragmatic solutions to complex legal problems."
Nick combines both the U.S. and European legal backgrounds. He has studied law in leading Universities in France, Belgium and the U.S. (Michigan). He was for many years a key member of the competition practice of a major Wall Street firm before moving to Linklaters.
Nick is regularly recognized by Who’s Who of Competition lawyers organized by Global Competition Review (GCR). In the 2017-2018 reviews, clients told GCR that Nick is “a great lawyer” who stands out for his expertise handling complex merger control deals. Clients also have said that Nick is “knowledgeable and insightful” and “able to deal quickly with very complex issues raised by significant cases.”
Key cases where Nick played a key role include:
- Linde on its transformational industrial gases merger with Praxair
- Energizer in its acquisition of Varta AG in the consumer batteries sector
- Nestlé on its Nestea joint venture arrangements with Coca-Cola
- SABMiller on its combination with ABInBev, the largest transaction in the beer sector and one of the largest M&A transactions ever (GCR Matter of the Year 2017)
- Intel on its Altera and Here acquisitions
- Siemens in its metallurgical joint venture with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Prior to joining Linklaters, Nick was involved in a number of high profile conduct investigations and transactions, including:
- JP Morgan in the EU Credit Default Swaps investigation that was dropped by the EU Commission (GCR European Behavioral Matter of the Year 2016)
- Stanley Black & Decker in its acquisition of Infastech
- Dell Corporation in its acquisition of Quest
- BlackRock in its acquisition of Barclays’ Global Investors
- Nokia Siemens Networks in its acquisition of Motorola’s network business
- The Coca-Cola Company in its attempted acquisition of Huiyuan Juice
- Toshiba in its acquisition of Westinghouse Electric Company
- Texas Pacific Group in its joint acquisition of a controlling stake in MGM
- Compaq Computer Corporation its merger with Hewlett-Packard Company
- Honeywell in its attempted merger with General Electric.
He speaks Greek, English and French.