Partner, Global Co-Head of International Arbitration, Paris
Avocat à la Cour de Paris
Pierre Duprey has broad experience in international arbitration, having practised in this field since 1992. He has acted as counsel in more than a hundred domestic and international matters and is regularly appointed as an arbitrator for institutional and ad hoc arbitrations (ICC, LCIA, FAA, Swiss Chambers).
Mr Duprey holds a Master’s degree in Private Law. He also studied Comparative Law in the US (Boston College) as well as at the Paris Comparative Law Institute.
He regularly contributes to training programmes organised by the French Arbitration Association, the Centre for Mediation and Arbitration of Paris (CMAP) and for various Business Schools (HEC, EDHEC) and universities.
His areas of expertise include the sectors of energy, natural resources, defence, joint-ventures, pharmaceuticals, distribution, information and communication technologies, and construction.
Matters of significance during the last 3 years where substantial involvement can be disclosed have included:
- Counsel for a French Major Distribution Group in its high-profile dispute with its Brazilian partner, one of the main operators of retail distribution in Brazil, relative to that partner’s recent efforts to orchestrate a merger the jointly detained Brazilian company and the Brazilian assets of the French client’ main competitor.
- Counsel for a former subsidiary of one of France’s leading oil and gas companies, in connection with an ad hoc arbitration in Stockholm under UNCITRAL rules brought by a private entity and by two Regions of the Russian Federation purporting to be contracting parties to an agreement for oil exploration in Russia dating from the early 1990s that had never come into effect. The matter also involves related court litigation in France (in which we have participated) and in Sweden.
- Counsel for a U.S.-based developers of a new resort installation in North Africa in ICC arbitration brought by a consortium of banks relative to a lending facility and project delays.
- Counsel for a leading worldwide advertising group in an ICC arbitration concerning the implementation of a share purchase agreement for the purchase of the remaining minority shares of a group of companies located in the Middle East that are controlled by the group.
- Counsel for a leading French bank in an international arbitration against a co-investor in a Portuguese bank, with the dispute focused on questions about the management of the latter bank by the co-investor and other issues arising under a shareholders agreement.
2013 to date Partner, Linklaters Paris
2013 to date Lecturer in the Master’s degree programme in Arbitration and International Affairs at the Université de Versailles and in the International Business Law LL.M programme at the Université Paris V Panthéon-Assas
2002 - 2013 Partner, Darrois
1995 - 2002 Associate, Darrois
1992 - 1995 Associate, Gide Loyrette Nouel
1993 - Paris Bar
1989 - University of Paris II
“Présentation du nouveau Décret sur l’arbitrage.” in “Les Cahiers du Conseil National des Barreaux” Ed. Oct. 2011, “L’arbitrage: principes et pratiques”; Regular contributor to the Revue de l’Arbitrage: Rev. Arb. 2011, 2, pp; 543 et ss.; Rev. Arb. 2010, 2, pp. 330 et ss.; Rev. Arb. 2009, 2, pp. 360 et ss.; “Do arbitral Awards constitute precedents ? Should Commercial Arbitration be distinguished from Arbitration based on Investment Treaties ?” contribution à “Toward a Uniform International Arbitration Law” in IAI Review n°3, Ed. Juris Publishing 2004; “L’arbitrabilité subjective en matière de droit des sociétés” in Cahiers de l’Arbitrage, Gaz. Pal. Juil. 2004, Vol 2 ; Participation aux travaux du groupe de travail ad hoc « Droit pénal et Arbitrage » du Comité National Français de la CCI ; « Practical considerations in the drafting and use of a multi-tiered dispute resolution clause » IBA – Oct. 2002 – Comité D ; Participation à la réédition de l’ouvrage sur « Le droit français de l’arbitrage interne et international » de Matthieu de Boisséson, Ed. Joly 1990.