Pieter is widely acknowledged as one of the leading corporate transactional lawyers in the Netherlands and Europe. He has more than 25 years of transactional experience in a wide range of commercial contracting and corporate finance work, with particular knowledge of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, public takeovers, disposals, joint ventures and partnerships. He has also advised on corporate venture capital and private equity-related transactions, including leveraged transactions, and on financial regulation.
Aside from doing transactional work, increasingly Pieter is called upon by company boards to advise them on key business decisions and governance related matters.
Pieter was a member of the firm’s Partnership Board and the firm’s Executive Committee. He was also the Regional Managing Partner for Western Europe until November 2016.
Pieter is currently a member of the firm’s Global Corporate Advisory Group and sits on the firm’s Corporate Responsibility Committee and the Fintech Committee.
Pieter has been the lead Amsterdam partner on a number of key corporate deals in the European market. Recent highlights include advising:
- ING Group and KBC Bank on their joint venture with respect to Payconiq
- Equens, one of the largest payment services suppliers in Europe, on its merger with Worldline, the European market leader in the area of payment and transaction services
- Delhaize Group, the Belgian-headquartered international food retailer, on its successful €25bn merger with Ahold, its Dutch-headquartered equivalent, one of the largest cross-border mergers in Europe
- Steinhoff International Holdings, the South African-based international retail holding company, on its listing on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange
- a consortium of long-term investors on the €3.7bn acquisition of LeasePlan Corporation, the Dutch vehicle management company, from a joint venture that included Volkswagen
Pieter regularly writes and lectures at universities and private institutions on corporate-related subjects.
Education and qualifications
Peter studied law at the University of Nijmegen.
He speaks Dutch, English and German.