Head of UK Planning and Real Estate ESG Lead, London
“I am a planning and consenting lawyer, advising on all aspects of standalone development and financing work, and major energy and infrastructure schemes within the central London boroughs and across the UK. I am trusted by clients for my extensive knowledge of the planning system and my calm and considered advice, explaining complex concepts clearly and concisely.”
Education and qualifications
Rory is a Managing Associate within the firm’s Real Estate practice. He has a broad range of experience across all aspects of planning law and consenting. His practice covers a wide range of high-profile developments, town extensions and energy and infrastructure projects.
As our Head of UK Planning and Real Estate ESG Lead, Rory also provides advice on highways, compulsory purchase, government statutory powers and rights of light. Rory has a wealth of experience drafting complex planning and highways agreements and has a track record of successful contentious work. Rory also leads on the firm’s real estate related ESG matters.
Rory has advised on several high-profile real estate transactions – highlights include:
- GIC and Greystar: on the €3.3bn acquisition of Student Roost, the UK’s third largest purpose-built student accommodation provider.
- Cale Street Partners: on the acquisition financing of the family-owned Fenwick flagship department store on Old Bond Street, London for a mixed-use redevelopment.
- A consortium of lenders: on the c.£772m development financing for a residential and luxury hotel skyscraper development scheme at One Nine Elms, London.
- Lendlease: on its £1.9bn Birmingham Smithfield City Centre development covering 17 hectares.
- Cadillac Fairview, the real estate arm of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan: on (a) the c.£250m acquisition of White City Place, London and (b) the c.£300m acquisition of five logistics sites across London and the West Midlands (in conjunction with a joint venture partner).