Member of the New York Bar
Scott focuses his practice on corporate transactions. He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions across a wide range of transactions, representing buyers, sellers, special committees, financial advisors and investors in public and private mergers, acquisitions, tender offers, hostile contests, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs and venture capital transactions. Scott's M&A practice has spanned a variety of industries with a particular emphasis on cross-border transactions and complex joint ventures. He advises clients on corporate and securities laws, governance issues and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission compliance and reporting matters. Scott also co-heads the U.S. executive compensation and benefits group at Linklaters.
He has recently represented:
- ION Investment Group Limited on its acquisition of OpenLink, a global leader in trading, risk and treasury solutions for the energy, commodities and financial services industries
Sibanye Gold Limited on its US$2.2bn acquisition of Stillwater Mining Company
Visa Europe Limited on the sale of 100% of its share capital to Visa Inc.
Steinhoff on its acquisition of U.S. mattress retailer, Mattress Firm
Triton on the acquisition of ALSTOM’s auxiliary components business for thermal power plants
- ThyssenKrupp on the sale of its U.S. steel plant to ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp.
- E-Land World Ltd. on its acquisition of K-Swiss, Inc., a US athletic shoe manufacturer
- ASSA ABLOY AB on its acquisition of 4Front Engineered Solutions, Inc.
- Deutsche Börse AG in its proposed merger with NYSE Euronext (not consummated)
- Standard Chartered Private Equity on its acquisition of Smoothie King Systems, Inc.
- A consortium of investors in their US$1.8bn investment in Banco BTG Pactual SA, the leading investment bank in Brazil (named 2011 Private Equity Deal of the Year by LatinFinance)
- Significant shareholders in the initial public offering of Banco BTG Pactual SA
- SAIC Motor Corp. in connection with the initial public offering of General Motors
- New York Life on the sale of its businesses in Hong Kong and South Korea to ACE Group
- Sanofi-aventis on its acquisition of Merck & Co.'s interest in animal health joint venture Merial Limited
- Sierra Wireless on its “white knight” acquisition of Wavecom SA in a dual French-U.S. tender offer
- Visa Europe Ltd. in connection with the reorganization and proposed initial public offering of Visa International
- Compagnie Générale de Géophysique in its acquisition of Veritas DGC Inc
Scott is ranked as a Leading Lawyer in the M&A field in the 2017 edition of IFLR1000, recognized in the 2016 edition of Legal 500 U.S. and has been ranked in Super Lawyers 2014.
1997 - The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
1994 - Cornell University, M.H.A.
1992 - Cornell University, B.S.
Co-author, “Contrast In MAC Clauses”, New York Law Journal, 25 October 2010
Co-author, "Disclosure Requirements for Cash-Settled Equity Total Return Swaps - A Multi-Jurisdictional Survey", Wall Street Lawyer, October 2008