Competition Counsel, Brussels
“I advise on all aspects of EU, Swedish and international competition law, with particular expertise in the telecommunications, financial services, private equity and healthcare sectors.”
Education and qualifications
Qualified in Sweden, Sibel is competition counsel in our global competition practice, based in Brussels.
Sibel represents clients in competition investigations before the European Commission, the Swedish Competition Authority as well as regulatory authorities worldwide. She advises on the full range of competition matters with an emphasis on global merger control (including public buy-outs) and abuse of dominance. She regularly counsels clients on pricing, marketing and foreclosure issues.
Sibel has significant experience advising private equity firms on a range of competition law issues, in particular in relation to liability flowing from the behaviour of portfolio companies.
In 2008 and 2011 Sibel spent time on secondment to the firm’s London office.
Sibel has been a key adviser in many significant merger control and abuse of dominance matters. These include advising:
- Takeda on the US$577.7m sale of its global, cutting edge respiratory portfolio, including regional and pre-clinical assets to AstraZeneca
- Novartis on the global antitrust strategy and merger clearances in relation to its three way, inter-conditional asset swap with GSK, involving the acquisition by Novartis of GSK’s oncology business, the sale to GSK of Novartis’ vaccines business (excluding influenza vaccines) and the creation of a joint venture in consumer health products with GSK, which has been variously notified to the EU, the US, China and 18 other merger control authorities
- PAI Partners on its acquisition of Atos Medical, the Swedish medical device company
- various clients in the healthcare and private equity sectors on competition law investigations and compliance
- Vodafone in relation to various matters including its a£1.044bn recommended offer for of Cable & Wireless Worldwide;
- Dixons on its merger with Carphone Warehouse, successfully obtaining Phase I clearance from the European Commission – the biggest retail merger in the UK market in 2014
- Microsoft on its abuse of dominance complaint against Google
Sibel acts as a non-governmental advisor to the Swedish competition authority within the ICN Working Group for Mergers.
She regularly publishes and speaks at major industry conferences, including on the application of competition law in the telecommunications sector.
Her publications include:
Nicole Kar & Sibel Yilmaz. “Competition risk: the issues for boards”: PLC Magazine, August 2015
Sibel Yilmaz & L.M.J.N. Prompers, “Keep Your Eyes Fixed on the Stars and Your Feet on the Ground: Recent Developments in the EU Telecommunications Sector from a Competition Law Perspective”, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 32, Number 1, January 2015
Sibel Yilmaz, “The New Swedish Competition Act”, ABA International Antitrust Bulletin, Volume 1, 2009
Sibel Yilmaz, “Tiga är guld: Advokatsekretess à la Förstainstansrätt”, Utlandsavdelningen Sveriges Advokatsamfund, Nyhetsbrev, December 2007
Education and qualifications
Sibel studied law and economics at Stockholm University, as well as the National University of Singapore (exchange). She holds a joint degree in European masters in law and economics from Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam, Universiteit Gent and Universität Hamburg.
She speaks English and Swedish.