"I assist our clients in resolving complex legal issues and helping them to successfully and efficiently close deals in significant domestic and cross-border real estate and corporate transactions. My expertise covers various business sectors, such as offices, hotels and leisure, retail, construction, real estate financing, private equity, consumer goods, automotive, healthcare and media.”
Education and qualifications
Michal is a Polish qualified lawyer (radca prawny), of counsel in the Warsaw Real Estate practice, with nearly 20 years’ experience in various areas of law including real estate, corporate, commercial and company law, insolvency and restructuring. For a number of years now his practice has focused on domestic and cross-border commercial real estate transactions, but he also has broad corporate experience - Michal has been advising clients in the CEE on various M&A transactions (including downstream private equity backed investments). Michal has led or supervised teams on multiple deals in the development, construction, retail, leisure, office, PE, banking, insurance, consumer goods, automotive, healthcare, food and media sectors in Poland.
Michal’s experience includes advising:
- the Austrian listed development company UBM Development AG, Vienna and its subsidiaries in relation to a number of land acquisitions, developments, constructions, financing and sale and lease-back transactions, including a new Holiday Inn in Warsaw, a five-star Radisson Blue Hotel in Wrocław, a new four star hotel in Gdansk , as well as in relation to a number of other real estate transactions (hotels, offices, retail parks and shopping centres, greenfield) in Poland;
- UBM Development AG and CA Immobilien Anlagen AG, both Austrian public joint stock companies listed on the Vienna Stock Exchange, in relation to a complex intra-group corporate restructuring (including all the corporate, real estate and tax issues) of its Polish joint venture "Poleczki Business Park", which owns one of the largest business park complexes in Warsaw;
- Echo S.A., a Polish listed development company in relation to the contemplated sale of a portfolio of development projects;
- Al-Srayia, a Qatari real estate fund on the acquisition of the five-star Westin Hotel in Warsaw from SkanskaProperties Poland;
- Skanska Properties Poland on various project acquisitions and joint ventures;
- Immobel in relation to the development of Smyk department store in Warsaw;
Michal has also provided comprehensive legal assistance on a number of high profile M&A transactions, including advising:
- Penta Investments in relation to the successful acquisition of Żabka retail chain with over 1,700 stores and in relation to the attempted purchase of a stake in one of the leading Polish grocery chains with about 300 stores nationwide;
- DENSO, a leading Japanese corporation from the automotive sector in connection with a joint venture with Robert Bosch in relation to a green field investment in one of the special economic zones in Poland;
Education and qualifications
Michal graduated from the University of Warsaw and holds a Master’s degree in law and a Master’s degree in German philology. Michal completed several scholarships at various universities in Germany and the Netherlands. He is member of the Warsaw Bar Association (OIRP), admitted as a qualified attorney-at-law (radca prawny).
Michal speaks a number of languages including Polish (native), English, German, Dutch, French and Italian, and has also basic knowledge of Hebrew.