Leading multinational companies and sovereign states choose the firm’s global team of dedicated arbitration lawyers to advise on all aspects of complex, high-value international arbitrations.
The firm acts as counsel in arbitrations in any seat, under any law and before any tribunal. In crafting their contracts, clients also rely on Linklaters’ advice on complex multi-tiered dispute resolution provisions. The team’s lawyers also have extensive experience of applying to stay proceedings brought in breach of arbitration clauses and in both enforcing and resisting the enforcement of arbitral awards.
Tailored teams of Linklaters lawyers from different jurisdictions work together to handle cases to suit the requirements of a particular dispute and tribunal. The global arbitration group has developed expertise across all business sectors and has experience under the rules of all the major arbitral institutions.
Linklaters’ Dispute Toolkit provides specialised arbitration and jurisdiction advice and precedent clauses for clients, together with information on national laws, ADR, governing law and sovereign immunity.
Recent international arbitration cases include advising:
- the German Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Affairs in arbitration proceedings concerning the HGV toll system, the disputed amount of the two Toll Collect arbitrations being approx. €8bn
- numerous financial institutions in Hong Kong in multifarious proceedings in Hong Kong resulting from the mini-bond crisis (SFC, HKMA, Legco hearings, civil proceedings)
- National Insurance Group, Russia’s leading insurance company, on international arbitration issues relating to a claim against certain Lloyd’s syndicates in a reinsurance dispute
- a mining company in an ICC arbitration against an African State and a state-controlled mining company relating to a contract which gave our client certain rights in a mining project
- AMORIM ENERGIA (the entity which controls the Portuguese oil company GALP, together with Italian company ENI) in arbitration proceedings against REN (the national company for transport of natural gas and electricity)
- a leading Russian uranium trader in international arbitration in connection with a US$1bn contractual dispute to supply uranium to a US company
- a major corporation based in Dubai active in the submarine cable business in an ICC arbitration concerning a dispute arising from a Turnkey Agreement executed between the parties for the building of a vessel in Brazil and its merits concerning the ownership of the vessel and liability for contractual breaches
- a multinational petrochemical group in a US$ multi-million arbitration in India arising out of gas sale agreements
- acting for a Mobile Telecommunications Company (MTC) in LCIA arbitration proceedings against an entity in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its owner, who is senior member of the Saudi Royal family, (the “Respondent”)
- acting for a major bank in an ICSID arbitration – its fifth in the long-running dispute over payments owed by an African state-owned electricity company to the operator of a power plant
- advising a major defence company in relation to the enforcement stage of the longest-running ICC Arbitration in the history of the organisation