Guillaume de Meersman
Competition/Antitrust Associate, Paris
Education and qualifications
Guillaume is an associate in the Competition/Antitrust team in Paris and a member of the Paris Bar. He is specialised in European Union and French Competition Law (notably horizontal and vertical agreements, abuse of dominant position, merger control, State aid, actions for damages, and compliance).
His practice covers a range of business sectors and he recently intervened:
- in international cartel investigation procedures before the European Commission, such as in the European Commission’s airfreight investigation and the ensuing appeal against the European Commission’s decision before the EU General Court;
- in dawn raids in the financial sector and subsequent procedures before the European Commission and national competition authorities;
- in an investigation before a foreign competition authority regarding an alleged abuse of dominant position in the energy sector, which implicated the successful triggering of the French blocking statute;
- as global coordinator of an antitrust workstream that gathered 15 investors (banks and corporates) for the creation and notification to various competition authorities of the first blockchain-based platform that digitalises commodity trade finance, during his secondment to one of the investors (a bank); and
- in several merger notifications to the European Commission (both joint-ventures cleared during Phase I and complex horizontal Phase II mergers) and foreign competition authorities (including Brazil, Poland, and South Korea).