Employment Partner, London
Jillian is a partner in Linklaters’ Employment & Incentives team with particular expertise in contentious and advisory employment matters. She is described as “extremely knowledgeable” and “absolutely brilliant and superb” in her area in Legal 500 and Chambers directories.
Jillian advises her clients on their most sensitive employee relations issues including crisis management, senior and executive level appointments and terminations and employment aspects of internal and regulatory investigations, as well as performance, conduct and culture issues which arise within a regulatory environment.
Jillian regularly manages employment litigation in the High Court and the Employment Tribunal as well as using methods of alternative dispute resolution such as mediation and conciliation to resolve disputes and frequently advises clients on the commercial strategies associated with such processes.
Jillian has considerable expertise advising clients on whistleblowing matters. In particular, Jillian is a ‘thought leader’ in the whistleblowing space and has been involved in leading the firm’s “Listen Up” campaign, which aims to focus the whistleblowing discussions on internal behaviours and responses to whistleblowing. As part of this, Jillian produced an e-Learning module with Protect (formerly known as Public Concern at Work). Jillian is also a regular commentator and speaker on such issues.
Jillian also regularly advises her clients on employment aspects of M&A and managing large global projects relating to redundancies, outsourcings and restructures, and frequently trains clients at senior management and board level and liaises with industry bodies on topical issues and government consultations (including CItyHR and GC100).
- advising a global bank on internal and regulatory investigations involving a former FX trader and subsequent Employment Tribunal proceedings relating to whistleblowing and discrimination
- advising a global bank on a high value whistleblowing and discrimination claim involving a number of board members as witnesses
- advising on landmark bonus dispute cases, including Commerzbank AG on the bonus litigation brought against the bank by 104 ex-Desdner Kleinwort bankers and JP Morgan Chase on bonus litigation brought by a former trader before the High Court
- advising a private equity investor on transfer of employee issues in relation to the proposed acquisition of a loan portfolio business
- advising a number of businesses in the tech sector, including a start up venture on the risks associated with recruiting employees under restrictive covenants and navigating the process without liability, as well as advising a fintech client in relation to potential breaches of confidentiality by a departing employee
- advising a number of international banks on the implementation of effective whistleblowing arrangements, and rolling out effective bespoke training programmes and advising on implementation and enforcement of such arrangements and processes
- advising a number of financial services clients on their conduct rule breach issues arising from poor employee behaviour