Corporate/M&A Partner, New York
Member of the New York and California Bars, with district admissions in the Eastern District of New York, the Southern District of New York and the Northern District of California.
Scott focuses his practice on corporate transactions. He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions across a wide range of transactions, representing buyers, sellers, special committees, financial advisors and investors in public and private mergers, acquisitions, tender offers, hostile contests, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs and venture capital transactions. Scott's M&A practice has spanned a variety of industries with a particular emphasis on cross-border transactions and complex joint ventures. He advises clients on corporate and securities laws, governance issues and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission compliance and reporting matters. Scott also co-heads the U.S. executive compensation and benefits group at Linklaters.
He has recently represented:
- ION Investment Group Limited on its acquisition of OpenLink, a global leader in trading, risk and treasury solutions for the energy, commodities and financial services industries
Sibanye Gold Limited on its US$2.2bn acquisition of Stillwater Mining Company
A major global payments technology company on the sale of 100% of its share capital to another payments technology company
Steinhoff on its acquisition of U.S. mattress retailer, Mattress Firm
Triton on the acquisition of ALSTOM’s auxiliary components business for thermal power plants
- ThyssenKrupp on the sale of its U.S. steel plant to ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp.
- E-Land World Ltd. on its acquisition of K-Swiss, Inc., a US athletic shoe manufacturer
- ASSA ABLOY AB on its acquisition of 4Front Engineered Solutions, Inc.
- Deutsche Börse AG in its proposed merger with NYSE Euronext (not consummated)
- Standard Chartered Private Equity on its acquisition of Smoothie King Systems, Inc.
- A consortium of investors in their US$1.8bn investment in Banco BTG Pactual SA, the leading investment bank in Brazil (named 2011 Private Equity Deal of the Year by LatinFinance)
- Significant shareholders in the initial public offering of Banco BTG Pactual SA
- SAIC Motor Corp. in connection with the initial public offering of General Motors
- New York Life on the sale of its businesses in Hong Kong and South Korea to ACE Group
- Sanofi-aventis on its acquisition of Merck & Co.'s interest in animal health joint venture Merial Limited
- Sierra Wireless on its “white knight” acquisition of Wavecom SA in a dual French-U.S. tender offer
- Compagnie Générale de Géophysique in its acquisition of Veritas DGC Inc
Scott has been recognized in the field of M&A in Legal 500 U.S., IFLR1000 and Super Lawyers.
1997 - The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
1994 - Cornell University, M.H.A.
1992 - Cornell University, B.S.
Co-author, “Contrast In MAC Clauses”, New York Law Journal, 25 October 2010
Co-author, "Disclosure Requirements for Cash-Settled Equity Total Return Swaps - A Multi-Jurisdictional Survey", Wall Street Lawyer, October 2008