Energy and Infrastructure Partner, New York
“I advise lenders, project sponsors (including private equity funds) and other project participants on the structuring, financing and acquisition/divestment of complex domestic and cross-border matters that are financed on a limited recourse project finance basis. I have significant sector knowledge and support my clients in finding commercially creative solutions for their transactions.”
Education and qualifications
Andrew is a partner in the Global Energy and Infrastructure Group based in New York. He represents export credit agencies, commercial lenders, project sponsors (including private equity funds), multilateral development agencies and other project participants in a wide range of domestic and cross-border project financing and acquisition/divestment transactions, with particular emphasis on the power (including renewables) sector.
Andrew spent nearly a decade working in Asia, based in both Hong Kong and Tokyo, and has significant experience working with Asian-based trading companies, lenders and export credit agencies.
Andrew has been recognized by Legal 500 U.S. as a recommended lawyer, IFLR1000 as a notable practitioner and Latin Lawyer as a highly recommended practitioner.
Andrew has led, or has been a key advisor, on many major project finance transactions. These include:
- A consortium in connection with the ongoing development and financing of an offshore wind farm off the coast of Massachusetts
- C2 Energy Capital: advising (a) on the development and financing of more than two dozen distributed generation solar portfolios across the U.S. and (b) the founders on the sale of the platform to EDP Renewables North America LLC.
- Lenzing AG and Duratex: advising on the development and IFC/IDB/Finnvera-led US$1.1bn financing of a dissolving wood pulp plant and biofuels power plant in Brazil.
- White Summit Capital and Riverstone Capital: advising on the acquisition of a portfolio of solar projects in Mexico.
- Contour Global: advising on the US$535m acquisition financing of two power plants in Mexico from Alpek.
- Reden Solar SAS: advising on the US$100m warehouse financing of a portfolio of solar projects in Chile.
- Arturo Merino Benitez Airport: advising the consortium of Vinci, Aeroports de Paris and Astaldi on the US$900m expansion development and financing of the Arturo Merino Benitez Airport in Santiago, Chile.
Andrew’s other hallmark mandates include:
- Cape Wind offshore wind farm: advising Eksport Credit Fonden of Denmark and a consortium of commercial lenders on the proposed US$2.5bn development and financing of the Cape Wind offshore wind farm off the coast of Massachusetts, U.S.
- Sarulla geothermal power project: advising the consortium of PT Medco Indonesia, Itochu Corporation, Ormat International and Kyushu Electric Power Company on the US$1.6bn development and financing of the Sarulla geothermal power project in Indonesia, the largest geothermal project financing globally to date.
- Central Java power project: advising Japan Bank for International Cooperation and a consortium of commercial lenders on the US$4.3bn development and financing of the Central Java power project in Indonesia.
Andrew is an active member in the New York community, and a frequent volunteer with Hope for New York and Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City. He is also an active participant in the firm’s pro bono program, with a recent focus on not-for-profit incorporation and refugee protection matters.
Andrew frequently speaks at industry and client conferences.
Education and qualifications
Andrew’s recent publications include:
- “A mile marker on China’s One Belt One Road”, International Financial Law Review, June 2016
- “Official Funding Sources: Export Credit Agencies and Multilateral Development Banks”, International Project Finance – Law and Practice (Second Edition), Oxford University Press, 2015