A growing number of companies find themselves on the radar for State aid probes into tax measures at the same time as the after-effects of the global financial crisis still constitute a major challenge for State aid law
In this evolving legal environment, companies with no previous (and often no foreseen) exposure to State aid issues are increasingly affected by the rules. In addition, companies increasingly view State aid law as a powerful tool to challenge the legality of fiscal regimes and other State measures which favour their competitors.
Our State aid practice is among the best in Europe. We have extensive experience advising beneficiaries and governments in both formal and informal State aid investigations. Clients gain competitive advantage from our wealth of experience in handling complex State aid cases.
We help our clients to achieve their commercial objectives by:
- providing insightful advice on law and strategy, taking into account both legal and political realities, which is based on our collective experience
- working closely with experts in our other practices (e.g. tax) and working within dedicated cross-practice sector focused groups (e.g. energy)
- advising clients on State aid issues ensuing from privatisations and sale of State-owned assets
- handling dealings with the European Commission and with governments granting State aid
- advising clients in relation to the repayment of unlawful State aid and managing recovery proceedings
- supporting beneficiaries of alleged State aid in complex court cases brought by complainants against European Commission State aid clearances
- assisting clients with State guarantees or financial support in the context of infrastructure projects, greenfield investments and carbon emission reduction