Counsel, New York
“I have been helping corporations and governments in Latin America, the United States and Europe access international financial markets for over 15 years, delving into their businesses and industries to generate insights, solve challenging legal issues and provide unparalleled execution.”
Education and qualifications
Published works and Speaking Engagements
Alejandro advises corporations, governments and investment banks on corporate finance transactions, including SEC-registered and exempt debt and equity offerings, credit facilities, restructurings, liability management and structured finance transactions, including diversified payment right securitizations. He also provides SEC-disclosure and corporate governance advice, and has knowledge of the banking, transportation, TMT, biotech, retail and energy sectors.
Alejandro has been at the forefront of ESG capital market deals across Latin America, leading a number of ESG “firsts”, including the first emerging-market sustainability-linked bond, the first sustainability-linked bond by a sovereign worldwide, the first international sustainability-linked bond out of Peru, and the first exchange offer in Argentina replacing standard bonds with green bonds.
Liability management transactions
- Arcor: advising the leading producer of confectionery products and cookies in Latin America as well as one of the largest candy producers globally on the exchange offer relating to its US$500 million 6.000% Fixed Rate Notes due 2023 for newly issued 8.250% Notes due 2027, plus certain cash consideration.
- Mastellone: advising the largest dairy company and the leading producer of fresh dairy products in Argentina on the exchange offer relating to its US$200 million 12.625% Series F Notes due 2021 for newly issued 10.95% Senior Secured Notes 2026, plus certain cash consideration.
- Aeropuertos Argentina 2000: advising Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and Santander Investment Securities Inc., as dealer managers, on the exchange offer and consent solicitation for all of AA2000's US$53.0 million 6.875% Senior Secured Notes due 2027 and US$326.4 million 6.875% Cash/9.375% PIK Class I Series 2020 Additional Senior Secured Notes due 2027 in exchange for newly issued 8.500% Class I Series 2021 Additional Senior Secured Notes due 2031.
- Telecom Argentina: advising Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Santander Investment Securities Inc., HSBC Securities (USA) Inc., Itau BBA USA Securities, Inc. and J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, as dealer managers, on the exchange offer and consent solicitation for all of the Argentine telecommunication company’s US$465 million 6.500% notes due 2021 in exchange for newly issued 8.500% senior amortizing notes due 2025, plus certain cash consideration.
High yield bond offerings
- SierraCol: advising J.P. Morgan Securities LLC on the Colombian oil and gas company’s inaugural offering of US$600 million 6.000% Senior Notes due 2028.
- Volcan Compañía Minera: advising BTG Pactual S.A. – Cayman Branch, Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and Santander Investment Securities Inc., as joint bookrunners and dealer managers, on the Peruvian mining company’s offering of US$475 million 4.375% senior notes due 2026 and a concurrent offer to purchase for cash up to US$125 million of its 5.375% senior notes due 2022.
- San Miguel Industrias PET (SMI): advising Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and Santander Investment Securities Inc., as initial purchasers and dealer managers and solicitation agents, on the first sustainability-linked bond issued out of Peru by the leader in rigid plastic packaging solutions in the Andean region, Central America and the Caribbean, in an offering of US$380m 3.500% senior guaranteed notes due 2028 and a concurrent offer to purchase for cash all of its US$300 million 4.500% senior guaranteed notes due 2022.
Sovereign and quasi-sovereign transactions
- Republic of Chile: advising the investment grade Latin American sovereign issuer on all of its international SEC-registered and exempt bond offerings since January 2021 for an aggregate principal amount of over US$25bn.
- Republic of El Salvador: advising Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., as dealer manager, in connection with the Republic of El Salvador’s offer to purchase for cash its 7.75% Notes due 2023 and 5.875% Notes due 2025.
- AySA: advising BofA Securities, Inc., HSBC Securities (USA) Inc. and AdCap Securities LTD, as dealer managers and solicitation agents, on the US$500 million exchange offer and consent solicitation of Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos S.A., a state-owned water and sewage company.
- Province of Rio Negro: advising the Argentine province on the solicitation of consents to restructure its US$300 million 7.75% Notes due 2025, with the application of collective action clauses.
- ENGIE Energía Perú: advising the borrower in connection with a US$300m loan facility granted by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and IDB Invest, for the development of a wind farm project.
- Volcan Compañía Minera: advising the lead arrangers and bookrunners, and a syndicate of lenders, in connection with the Peruvian mining company’s US$400 million Senior Unsecured Term Loan Facility.
- ENAP: advising the state-owned energy company in connection with two bilateral loan facilities each for US$100 million.
Private Placements, MTN Programs and DPR Transactions
- Ferreycorp: advising the largest distributor of capital goods in Peru, Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize, and the sole distributor in the countries where it operates of leading global machinery and equipment brands, most significantly Caterpillar and Kenworth, on the sale of US$90m senior notes to The Prudential Insurance Company of America pursuant to Section 4(a)(2).
- Aguas Andinas: acting as deal counsel on the establishment of Aguas Andinas S.A.’s Medium-Term Notes Program and offering of its AUD 6.82% Fixed Rate Notes due 2037 and JPY 2.16% Fixed Rate Notes due 2037 under its Green and Social Bond Framework.
- Banco de Chile: advising BofA Securities, Inc., Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC. and J.P. Morgan Securities LLC on Banco de Chile’s Rule 144A and Regulation S offering of US$500 million 2.990% Fixed Rate Notes due 2031 under its Medium-Term Notes Program.
- Banco do Brasil S.A.: advising Brazil's largest bank in connection with the issuance by Dollar Diversified Payment Rights Finance Company of US$400m aggregate principal amount series 2022-1 floating rate notes and US$150m aggregate principal amount series 2022-3 fixed rate notes.
- Republic of Chile: advising the investment grade Latin American sovereign issuer on the first sustainability-linked bond by a sovereign worldwide.
- Suzano: advising the underwriters and dealer managers on the SEC-registered offering by the Brazilian pulp company of US$750 million 3.750% guaranteed notes due 2031, the first sustainability-linked bond issued in the emerging markets, and cash tender offers for all of its 5.250% guaranteed notes due 2024, 4.000% guaranteed notes due 2025 and 5.750% guaranteed notes due 2026.
- Genneia: advising the leading renewable power company in Argentina on the exchange offer and consent solicitation relating to its US$500 million 8.750% Series "XX" Notes due 2022 and US$53 million Notes due January 22, 2022 for newly issued 8.750% Senior Secured Notes 2027, plus certain cash consideration, in accordance with its green bond framework.
Education and qualifications
- MIT Sloan School of Management, MBA
- Manchester Metropolitan University, MS
- New York University School of Law, LLM
- University of Buenos Aires School of Law, JD
Published works and Speaking Engagements
- "Financing Sustainable Development" Chapter 3 in Latin Lawyer’s Guide to Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance, December 2022
- "How to greenify a bond" IFLR, September 2022
- "Are social bonds the answer to Latin America’s liquidity needs?" Latin Lawyer, April 2020
- Speaker, Argentinian Banking Committee: "Diagnosis and challenges for the development of sustainable finances", December 2022
- Speaker, Argentine Chamber of Commerce: "ESG Bonds", August 2022
- Moderator, North American Chilean Chamber of Commerce: "The State of Sustainability Efforts in Chile", March 2022
- Speaker, University of Lima, Corporate Finance Event: "Thematic Bonds", November 2021