Antitrust & Foreign Investment Counsel, London
"I advise clients on a range of cross-border competition law issues, in particular, complex merger control and foreign investment cases. Having worked in both London and Brussels for global clients operating across multiple sectors, my focus is on delivering pragmatic solutions and helping clients achieve their strategic objectives."
Education and qualifications
Eram is a Counsel in our Global Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group, based in London. She has over a decade of experience working across the spectrum of competition issues.
Eram advises clients across all sectors, with a particular focus on financial services, mining and commodities, energy and private equity. She has been a key adviser to major corporates, investment banks, institutional investors and PE houses on their most challenging international transactions, with specific expertise in EU and multi-jurisdictional merger control, foreign investment control and behavioural antitrust issues.
Eram has extensive experience in advising leniency applicants in EC cartel investigations, compliance work and market studies carried out by competition and financial regulatory authorities in the EU and the UK.
She has spent two years based in our Brussels office as well as working in-house on a secondment with the Competition team of a leading retail bank in the UK.
Highlights of matters which Eram has worked on include advising:
- Glencore on its acquisition of the remaining stake in the Cerrejón coal mine in Colombia from its joint venture partners, Anglo American and BHP
- Jingye Group, the Chinese steelmaker, on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of certain assets of British Steel
- Advent International Corporation on its £1bn recommended cash offer for Laird
- Lloyds Banking Group on the acquisition of Tesco Bank’s prime £3.7bn UK residential mortgage portfolio and the acquisition of Zurich’s UK workplace pensions and savings business
- Deutsche Börse on the European Commission’s in-depth investigation into its proposed €21bn merger with the London Stock Exchange Group
- Novartis in relation to its transformational three-way asset swap with GSK, involving the acquisition by Novartis of GSK’s oncology business, the sale to GSK of Novartis’ vaccines business (excluding influenza vaccines) and the creation of a joint venture in consumer health products with GSK
- Glencore on various merger control and competition law compliance matters, including its US$70bn acquisition of the remaining stake in Xstrata and on their US$775.2m sale of a 51% stake in its global oil storage business to HNA
- An automotive parts company as the immunity applicant in the European Commission’s investigation concerning various automotive components, forming part of what has been described as the “largest cartel investigation in history”
Eram joined Linklaters in 2010 as an Associate in our Competition/Antitrust practice, based in Brussels. She was promoted to Managing Associate in 2013 and has been a Counsel since May 2019. She is praised by clients as having an “excellent depth and breadth of knowledge” of antitrust issues “across the UK, EU as well as other jurisdictions such as India and China”.
Eram is recognised as a Future Leader by Who’s Who Legal Competition - 2020 and 2021.
Education and qualifications
Eram studied law at ILS Law College, India. She also holds an LLM with Distinction in EC and UK Competition Law from King’s College London.
Eram is qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales, and as an Advocate in India. She speaks English and Hindi.