Antitrust & Foreign Investment Senior Associate, Washington D.C.
Education and qualifications
January is a senior associate in Linklaters’ Global Antitrust & Foreign Investment practice. She represents U.S. and international clients in connection with merger investigations before the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice. January advises clients on antitrust and regulatory issues related to cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other business arrangements. She also assists corporations with antitrust compliance and risk assessment issues.
Prior to joining Linklaters, January was an attorney at an international law firm, focusing on class action suits involving global pharmaceutical companies and FTC and SEC government investigations. She holds a Juris Doctorate from the University of Virginia School of Law and clerked in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania after law school. She also worked as a law clerk for the Honorable L. Felipe Restrepo, United States District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Outside the practice of law, January serves as the Young Lawyer Representative of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Civil Practice and Procedure Committee and is a board member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association Educational Fund.
January’s work experience includes:
- Linde AG on its US$90bn merger of equals with Praxair Inc.
- Takeda in relation to its US$62bn offer for Shire plc, the largest ever outbound M&A deal by a Japanese company
- acting as member of a trial team representing a global pharmaceutical company in an antitrust class action involving product hopping claims; defending a major pharmaceutical company in a class action suit, in which plaintiffs claimed that defendant allegedly entered into an anticompetitive licensing agreement with a competitor to restrain trade and artificially inflate the price of a drug;
- representation of a building products manufacturer company in an FTC investigation for collusive practices with competitors;
- conducting an internal investigation of a global manufacturer of medical devices based in Korea regarding fraudulent financial reporting practices.
- Vice Chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Mergers and Acquisition Committee (2019-2020)
- Young Lawyer Representative of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2017-2018)
- Young Lawyer Representative of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee (2016-2017, 2018-2019)
- Board of Directors of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association Educational Fund (2018-2020)
Education and qualifications
Following law school, January worked as a law clerk for the Honorable L. Felipe Restrepo, United States District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.