Banking Partner, Warsaw
“I have extensive experience advising Polish and international clients on a wide range of complex financing transactions throughout Central and Eastern Europe, harnessing strong negotiating skills with in-depth knowledge of the market to ensure that deals are completed efficiently.”
Education and qualifications
Jarosław heads the banking and finance practice in the firm’s Warsaw office. He advises financial institutions, including banks and alternative credit providers, on all types of financing transactions, from plain vanilla loans to structured, syndicated, project, finance, real estate and acquisition finance. He also advises on debt capital markets transactions, including bond issues, corporate recovery and derivatives. Jarosław also has much experience in debt restructuring, particularly involving the rescheduling of debt following the global financial crisis.
In addition, Jarosław counsels clients on regulatory issues as they affect the operation of financial institutions in Poland, including on procedures pending before the Banking Supervisory Commission.
Jarosław has significant expertise in a range of sectors, in particular the real estate and energy sectors.
Jarosław was the first general counsel for Société Générale in Warsaw, where he worked between 1996 and 1999, assisting the bank to create an in-house legal function and developing the bank’s standard form documentation, as well as gaining insight into the bank’s operation.
Jarosław has led on many major banking and finance deals. Highlights include advising:
- Merrill Lynch International on a first ever Polish true sale securitisation of a portfolio of performing assets (car loan receivables) arranged for Dominet Bank
- the arrangers on a US$1.5bn landmark project finance transaction to finance the development and operation of the LNG Terminal in Świnoujście, Poland
- Celsa Group on the restructuring of the financial indebtedness of its Polish operations, the largest ever restructuring of an indebtedness of a Polish company carried out through a scheme of arrangement sanctioned by the English courts
- two separate bank syndicates financing the development and operation of a major upgrade of the existing refinery of Lotos, Gdańsk, Poland, as well as reserve-based financing of the LOTOS Group inventory
- a bank consortium, led by ING Bank, on a financing of a portfolio of shopping hypermarkets and malls across Poland, then one of the largest portfolio property finance transactions, and subsequently advising lenders and investors on later divestments, portfolio splits and refinancings
- one of the largest Polish financial institutions on the issuance of guarantee instruments to the benefit of two Polish banks guaranteeing (for regulatory relief purposes under the Capital Requirements Regulation2 (CRR) and Capital Requirements Directive IV (CRD) regulations) the performance of selected loan exposures of the beneficiaries
Jaroslaw regularly speaks at Loan Market Association (LMA) conferences, mostly on the subject of restructuring and insolvency.
Education and qualifications
Jaroslaw holds a master’s in law from the University of Warsaw and a master’s in management from HEC Paris and Warsaw School of Economics.
He speaks Polish and English.