Corporate Counsel, Hong Kong SAR
“I advise on the full range of cross-border transactions, including public and private M&A and capital raisings. Now based in Asia, I bring over-10 years of international, transactional and advisory experience from London to provide on-the-ground execution capability and commercially minded and pragmatic advice to our clients with their global ambitions.”
Education and qualifications
Kay is a Corporate Counsel and heads our Korea Corporate Practice. Prior to moving to Asia, she has advised a number of FTSE 100 and major multi-national clients across different sectors on high profile, complex transactions globally. Kay now focuses on delivering commercial and legally-sound solutions to clients in Asia with their international ambitions, as well as global clients with their investments in Asia.
In particular, Kay has significant experience of working on transactions across the natural resources sector and is part of the Asia Funds and Financial Investors group, with a focus on the natural resources and infrastructure sectors.
Kay also plays a key role in our Asia Technology Sector.
Kay has advised on a wide range of corporate deals. Highlights include advising:
- Glencore on its US$90bn all-share merger with Xstrata and on its US$10bn IPO and dual listings in London and Hong Kong, as well as its secondary listing in Johannesburg
- Amec Foster Wheeler on the £2.3bn public takeover by John Wood Group and also advising on the £230m private divestment of its UK North Sea operations to Worley Parsons in connection with the takeover
- A major financial institution on the £1.2bn forward sale and leaseback of its new European HQ in London to National Pension Service of South Korea. It is one of the largest real estate M&A deals in London in 2018
- Steinhoff on its recommended £610m offer for Poundland Group, its Frankfurt listing with a market cap of €18.6bn and a secondary listing in Johannesburg, as well as its US$1.7bn rights issue prior to its Frankfurt listing
- Equitix, a leading UK infrastructure investor, in its acquisition of a portfolio from NIBC Bank N.V., including six stakes in hospitals, a care home and other PFI projects in the UK as well as six assets in continental Europe including solar and wind farms
- Samsung C&T Corporation on its acquisition of Whessoe Projects Limited from the Saudi Arabian Al-Rushaid Group
- Cheil Worldwide, one of the Samsung Group companies, on its majority stake acquisition of Iris UK, an award-winning digital marketing agency
Education and qualifications
Kay studied Engineering Science at St. Catherine’s College, University of Oxford (MEng), followed by Graduate Diploma in Law and Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice at BPP Law School and College of Law in London, respectively.
Kay speaks English and Korean.