Mirthe van Kesteren
Mirthe is a senior partner in the Global Loans team in London and leads the firm’s Emerging Markets Banking and Structured Commodity Trade Finance practices. She also co-heads the firm's CIS and Ukraine Desks.
Mirthe focuses on financings and restructurings of commodities backed and other structured transactions. She acts for borrowers, including sovereigns, and financial institutions.
Mirthe has been selected by Legal 500, in their 2020 edition, for the Hall of Fame which “highlights individuals who have received constant praise from their clients for continued excellence. The Hall of Fame highlights, to clients, the law firm partners who are at the pinnacle of the profession”.
- KAZ Minerals group (formerly Kazakhmys): advising this mining company on its financings and trading arrangements for the past two decades. Recent transactions include:
- the company’s self-arranged US$1bn PXF facility.
- its borrowing base facility with Caterpillar Finance secured on equipment located in Kazakhstan.
- its facilities with Development Bank of Kazakhstan and China Development Bank for the development of the group’s mines in Kazakhstan and its exclusive trading arrangements with Advaita.
- Petroplus group: advising the lenders on the pan-European borrowing base facility for this group and on the group’s subsequent insolvency which resulted in 100% recovery for the lenders following the enforcement of security in six European jurisdictions.
- Essar group, the KME group, the Greenergy Fuels group, the Gunvor group and the Varo Energy group: advising the lenders on substantial European borrowing base facilities for these companies.
- Varo Energy group: advising Euler Hermes Garanties and Atradius as guarantee providers on the first of its kind syndicated VAT and customs guarantee issuance facility in respect of the tax liabilities of members of this energy group.
- Samruk-Kazyna: advising the lenders on the first ever syndicated facility for this sovereign wealth fund and joint stock company in Kazakhstan.
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine: advising this government agency and its sovereign owned entities, including Ukrzaliznitsiya, Ukravtodor, Naftogaz, Ukrtelecom, Energoatom, Ukrkosmos, UkrAgroLeasing, Yuzhmash and Ukrtransnafta, on their international loan financings.
- Burisma, DTEK, Interpipe, Mriya and Zaporizhstahl: advising the lenders on various significant facilities and/or restructurings for these Ukrainian borrowers.