Incentives: What sets us apart?
Practical commercial advice
We have a reputation for providing clear, innovative, commercial and practical solutions that meet the challenges faced by our clients.
"The team is very professional and gives very good, reliable advice, with practical solutions to the various issues that arise."
“What distinguishes this team is how pragmatic its advice is. Clearly, the team contains experienced subject matter experts in their respective fields, but conversations with them are never around "but the law says..."; instead, they are always solution-oriented, practical, and constructive.”
(Legal 500 2019)
"They provide excellent, pragmatic and timely advice, and understand the need to balance technical advice with commerciality"; "Very commercially focused."
Doing the most challenging and complex work
Our team combines exceptional technical skills with the ability to think outside the box.
"Responsive, engaging, commercial and superb technically."
“Second to none in terms of knowledge and capability”; “Simply the best in the business in this area - responsive in a crisis and work with us in new areas without being phased at any sort of request”; “Well known for in-depth knowledge of regulatory information”; “The remuneration side of the practice is unmatched.”
(Legal 500 2019)
"Adept at advising on a full range of employee share schemes."
A passion for helping our clients
Being a supportive team with an understanding of your needs, and seeing each client relationship as a long-term commitment. The proof is in our current client base: we have worked with 8 of the FTSE Top 10, over half of the FTSE top 20 and 40 of the FTSE 100, many of whom we have advised for nearly 20 years. We also advise 14 of the top 20 global banks and half of the top 20 asset managers.
"The team is highly committed and totally focused."
“They always give the impression we are all on the "same team" and they remain committed to looking out for us as clients. We really enjoy working with them.”
(Legal 500 2019)
"Lots of flexibility and really good at helping with design solutions. We can’t praise them highly enough."
We convey complex technical issues concisely and avoid any unnecessary jargon, to ensure that the details are as simple as possible.
"Their advice is clear rather than very legalistic."
Innovative and versatile approach
We differentiate by being innovative. For example:
- We use technology to enhance our client service. We have introduced an e-learning course on insider dealing which companies can use to train their employees and executives on these onerous rules. We have also developed an online interactive guide to assist companies in putting together their annual directors' remuneration report and to guide them through the plethora of rules around both the design and disclosure of directors’ pay.
- We run our own Incentives Twitter account to keep our clients updated.
- We provide on-line access to guides through our web-based client knowhow sites. Examples include our global remuneration guide for financial institutions.
- We regularly hold webinars, workshops and training for clients. We differentiate ourselves by conducting surveys at our workshops which we then publish. We also run an insider dealing user group for companies which has become a useful forum to exchange ideas on implementation and discuss market practice.
- We hold roundtables for general counsel and non-executive directors to discuss and share views on market practice and proposed changes. Examples include our roundtables on the government’s executive pay and corporate governance reforms, and on identifying inside information.
We are a global practice with Incentives lawyers in over 20 countries. We advise some of the largest global companies on the operation of their global share plans including: Citibank, GlaxoSmithKline and Deutsche Post.
"The excellent department is noted for its global share plans expertise."
(Legal 500, 2018)
Having a voice
We join the debate and keep clients up to date with changes to the law, regulations and market practice, wherever they may be, so you know exactly how you will be affected and can plan accordingly.