Counsel, New York
Matt’s practice is primarily devoted to international and corporate tax matters encompassing a wide range of cross-border and U.S. domestic transactions. He advises clients in respect of a variety of capital markets and financing transactions, restructurings (both bankruptcy and out of court restructurings), infrastructure, real estate and private equity fund formations, corporate mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, reorganisations, and financial products.
Matt has advised clients on a wide range of transactions, include advising:
- Ardian on the fund raising for multiple generations of its secondary fund of funds and its infrastructure funds;
- Various U.S. and European investment banks on structured note programmes and issuances under those programmes;
- CGG S.A. and CGG Holding (U.S.) Inc., on their French Safeguard proceedings and U.S. Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 bankruptcy proceedings;
- New York Life Insurance Company with respect to its acquisition of a 40% stake (along with an option to acquire an additional 40% stake) in Tristan Capital Partners, a European real estate investment management company with €8.8bn of assets under management;
- The Global Coordinators and Joint Bookrunners on the €4bn Subordinated Mandatory Convertible Notes due 2019 issued by Bayer Capital Corp. B.V. and guaranteed on a subordinated basis by Bayer AG, in connection with the financing of the $66bn acquisition of Monsanto;
- Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited in relation to the Exchange Offer and Consent Solicitation of $726.524m 10.5% Notes due 2023 issued by the Republic of Mozambique in exchange for the outstanding $697m Loan Participation Notes issued by Mozambique Ematum Finance 2020 B.V.;
- Atlantica Yield plc (formerly known as Abengoa Yield plc) on its $828m initial public offering on NASDAQ and subsequent capital markets transactions. Atlantica was the first international “yieldco” public offering;
- Abengoa SA on its offering of $279m 5.125% exchangeable notes due 2017 exchangeable for existing ordinary shares of Abengoa Yield plc; and
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) on structuring its bankruptcy settlement with Lehman Brothers Inc. and the on-payment of certain amounts to its creditors as well as other settlement payments.
2007 - New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
2006 - Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
1999 - Oberlin College, A.B.