Capital Markets Counsel, London
“I have a broad-based practice focusing on structured and asset-backed finance, with particular expertise in performing and non-performing mortgage-backed securitisation transactions. I provide pragmatic solutions, focused on the core legal and commercial objectives of the client.”
Education and qualifications
William is a Counsel in the Linklaters’ capital markets group, specialising in structured finance and securitisation. William has considerable experience of RMBS, CMBS (including CMBS restructuring) and covered bonds, as well as NPL financings, supply chain finance, and trade receivables finance. He has also advised on infrastructure and utilities financing (particularly rail and electricity) and a wide range of other structured finance products. William has advised arrangers, lead managers, originators, investors, lenders (both senior and mezzanine / junior), guarantors, and issuers.
William has worked on some of the most complex and innovative transactions in the market. These include advising:
- a consortium of the six largest UK financial institutions in providing a staple financing package in connection with the sale in April 2018 by UK Asset Resolution of some £5.3bn of mortgage loans originated by Bradford & Bingley (one of the largest financial asset sales – and related securitisation financing - ever undertaken by a European government)
- Belmont Green, as originator, on the Tower Bridge Funding No.3 plc £527m residential mortgage-backed securitisation of a pool of performing UK mortgage loans
- Cerberus on the sale of a £523m loan portfolio comprising UK buy-to-let and owner-occupied mortgage loans to Metro Bank, and on the unwind of the existing financings in which the loans were held immediately prior to the sale to Metro Bank
- the lenders on the amendment, re-structuring and extension of Together Money's £1.25bn Charles Street mortgage-backed warehouse note-issuance facility
- JP Morgan Securities plc as sole arranger and placement agent on the €176.3m securitisation of a pool of non-performing secured and unsecured receivables originated by the Portuguese bank Caixa Economica Montepio Geral S.A.
- the arranger on the securitisation by Grand Canal Securitisation 2 DAC of a €517.6m pool of performing and non-performing Irish mortgage loans originally acquired by Oaktree Capital from Irish Nationwide Building Society and Springboard Mortgages Limited
- the arrangers and joint lead managers on the Together Asset Backed Securitisation 1 plc £280m securitisation of a pool of performing English, Welsh and Scottish mortgage loans
- the JLMs on the issue of the Series 9 €1.25bn fixed rate Covered Bonds and the Series 10 £1.25bn floating rate Covered Bonds, in each case issued by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc pursuant to their €25bn Global Covered Bond Programme
- the lender on the warehouse financing of a portfolio of unsecured consumer loans
Education and qualifications
William obtained his Post-graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice and his Post-graduate Diploma in Law from Oxford Brookes University. William studied History at Durham University.