Linklaters’ clients in Hong Kong rely on our expertise in areas ranging from banking & finance, capital markets, competition/anti-trust, corporate/M&A, dispute resolution, employment & incentives, financial markets regulation, projects, private equity, and restructuring & insolvency.
Our network of offices across China includes an integrated team of over 200 lawyers offering high-quality legal advice in Hong Kong, English and US law. Our lawyers are at the forefront of market-leading developments in the region and have worked on some of the most complex, innovative and award-winning transactions.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- CLP Power on the development of a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) to power project in Hong Kong, which will include the development of a new FSRU project as well as the negotiation of gas supply arrangements between Hong Kong and China
- Jardine Strategic Holdings on the formation of a joint venture to set up a virtual bank in Hong Kong, one of the first three virtual banking licenses successfully granted by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority
- the underwriters on the IPO of Shandong Gold on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This is the largest mining company IPO in Hong Kong in the last six years;
- PBOC on its first issuance of Bills in Hong Kong. The RMB 10bn three-month Bills and RMB 10bn 1-year Bills were issued through CMU BID, the bond tendering platform of the HKMA.
- the common lenders on the project financing Taiwan’s first commercial scale offshore wind farm project, Formosa 1, having previously advised on its 35% stake acquisition into the same project;
- Hammer Capital Consulting Limited in the acquisition financing for The Center – the largest acquisition financing for a single block commercial building at US$4.2bn;
- China Southern Power Grid’s US$1.3bn acquisition of Brookfield Infrastructure's 27.8% stake in Transelec, the largest pure-play power transmission company in Chile.
- CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. and Cathay United Bank Company Limited as mandated lead arranger, original lender and agent for the acquisition financing of garment label marker Trimco by a vehicle controlled by Affinity Equity Partners
- HKEX on establishment of the Bond Connect between China and Hong Kong;
Our standing in this region is reflected by our consistent ranking as a top tier firm across our core practice areas:
"Compact and highly regarded team advising on market-leading transactions. Work spans a range of complex structured financings, the firm maintaining an especially strong reputation for leveraged and acquisition finance as well as syndicated loans."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Banking & Finance (International Firms): China
"[Linklaters] provide[s] top-notch technical excellence, while being extremely hands-on and highly responsive. They offer very practical legal solutions."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Capital Markets (International Firms): China
"Impressive corporate team, particularly commended for its work handling transactions in the financial services sector."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Competition/Antitrust (International Firms): China
"Regionally powerful firm respected by peers and appreciated by clients for its ability to take on complex cross-border litigation… Offers PRC capabilities and maintains strong relations with litigation firms based in Mainland China.
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Dispute Resolution (International Firms): China
“They do a first-class job, they're very strategic and fast. They are very responsive and the work output is high-quality.”
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019, Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms): China