Linklaters has been in Hong Kong for over 40 years. As part of our China offering, this office, alongside Beijing and Shanghai, is recognised as having the strongest international offering in the market by all benchmarking standards.
Linklaters was proud to celebrate its 40th Anniversary in Hong Kong in 2016.
Hong Kong is the cornerstone of our Greater China presence. Linklaters in Hong Kong reflects the entrepreneurial spirit and dynamism of the Hong Kong community. This enduring presence in Hong Kong is testament to the quality and commitment of our people.
As part of our Greater China offering, our Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai offices are recognised as having the strongest international offering in the market.
Our network of offices includes a team of over 200 lawyers offering high-quality legal advice in Hong Kong, English and US law. Our lawyers are at the forefront of market-leading developments in the region and have worked on some of the most complex, innovative and award-winning transactions.
Recent highlights include advising:
- Cinda’s US$3.2 billion issuance of 4.45% Additional Tier 1 Preference Shares - the first ever issuance of AT1 capital by a non-bank PRC financial institution and the largest USD fixed income offering by a PRC issuer in 2016;
- Bank of China on the establishment of its USD5 billion China Covered Note Programme and the initial offering by Bank of China London Branch of USD 500 million China Green Covered Bonds due 2019 to be listed on the London Stock Exchange;
- Advised Dah Sing Financial Holdings Limited and Dah Sing Banking Group Limited in a HK$10.6bn (US$1.37bn) transaction;
- New World Developments’ US$1.2 billion issuance of Senior Perpetual Securities one of the largest issuances ever of perpetual bonds by a Hong Kong listed company. Innovative structure to qualify for equity treatment, at very low borrowing costs;
- Siam City Cement: two strategic acquisitions totalling close to US$1bn led by Robert Cleaver and Alex Bidlake in Hong Kong, and Wanwisar Nakarat in Bangkok;
- Biostime’s concurrent US$400m High Yield Notes, US$450m Syndicated Facility and Convertible Bond Tender Offer involving HK partners Davide Mencacci and Jon Horan;
- World’s largest US$3bn green bond: Acted for Bank of China Limited in a multi-currency offering of Green Bonds. World’s largest green bond issuance, generating significant interest across Asia and globally;
- Linklaters and Allens advise on Victoria International Container Terminal Limited: syndicated loan facility in an amount of A$ 398 million;
- DBS Bank Ltd on the USD 1.2bn auction of its life insurance distribution channels in Singapore, Hong Kong, China and Indonesia
Linklaters’ clients in Hong Kong rely on the firm’s expertise in areas ranging from corporate/M&A, private equity, banking, projects, capital markets and anti-trust/competition law to litigation & arbitration, financial markets regulation, employment and restructuring & insolvency.
Our standing in this region is reflected by our consistent ranking as a top tier firm across our three core practice areas:
“Linklaters has continued to dominate the China outbound and inbound scene… Few firms have such a rich array of dedicated M&A specialists in Hong Kong and Greater China.”
Band 1 ranking, Corporate, Hong Kong, Legal 500, 2016
“Linklaters’ breadth and depth of expertise consistently enables it to identify the next product to hit the market. Products such as equity-linked transactions, Dim Sum bonds and convertible bonds are areas where the firm has demonstrated clear market leadership.”
Band 1 ranking, Capital Markets, Hong Kong, Legal 500, 2016
“Compact and highly regarded team advising on market-leading transactions.”
Band 1 ranking, Banking & Finance (International firms), China, Chambers Asia, 2016