Linklaters has been in Hong Kong for over 40 years. As part of our China offering, this office, alongside Beijing and Shanghai, is recognised as having the strongest international offering in the market by all benchmarking standards.
Our network of offices includes a team of over 200 lawyers offering high-quality legal advice in Hong Kong, English and US law. Our lawyers are at the forefront of market-leading developments in the region and have worked on some of the most complex, award-winning transactions.
Recent highlights include advising:
- the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited on the establishment of the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect;
- on the US$100 billion reorganisation, merger and spin-off of two of the largest listed companies in Hong Kong, Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa, and the subsequent listing of their merged property business;
- PCCW and HKT on the US$2.5 billion financing of the acquisition of 100% of shares in CSL Limited by HKT;
- the underwriters in connection with Baosteel Group’s issuance of a US$500 million bond exchangeable into Hong Kong listed H-shares of China Construction Bank Corporation - the first international exchangeable bond into H-shares; and
- Bank of China Limited on the world’s first multibillion four-currency multi-tranche bond offering.
Linklaters’ clients in Hong Kong rely on the firm’s expertise in areas ranging from corporate/M&A, private equity, banking, projects, capital markets and anti-trust/competition law to litigation & arbitration, financial markets regulation, employment and restructuring & insolvency.
Our standing in this region is reflected by our consistent ranking as a top tier firm across our three core practice areas:
“Linklaters has continued to dominate the China outbound and inbound scene… Few firms have such a rich array of dedicated M&A specialists in Hong Kong and Greater China.”
Band 1 ranking, Corporate, Hong Kong, Legal 500, 2016
“Linklaters’ breadth and depth of expertise consistently enables it to identify the next product to hit the market. Products such as equity-linked transactions, Dim Sum bonds and convertible bonds are areas where the firm has demonstrated clear market leadership.”
Band 1 ranking, Capital Markets, Hong Kong, Legal 500, 2016
“Compact and highly regarded team advising on market-leading transactions.”
Band 1 ranking, Banking & Finance (International firms), China, Chambers Asia, 2016