Linklaters has been active in Korea for over 30 years, advising the leading Korean corporations, financial institutions and law firms.
Our years of experience have given us a powerful insight into the Korean business environment, which we are able to combine with our unique international capabilities to provide clients operating in Korea with unrivalled service.
We established our Foreign Legal Consultant Office in Seoul in July 2013, bringing on-the-ground execution capability across key practice areas.
We offer full service capability, advising on U.S. and English law with a detailed understanding of the regulatory and business environment in Korea. Principal areas of practice include M&A, private equity, foreign direct investment, outbound investment, corporate finance, capital markets, projects, energy and infrastructure, banking and finance. We also leverage our strong relationships with the leading Korean law firms to arrange Korean legal advice for our clients as necessary.
This market-leading practice has been recognised both by market participants and by the following recent awards:
South Korea International Law Firm of the Year, Chambers Asia in 2014
Foreign Law Firm of the Year, ALB Korea Law Awards 2013
- Banking & Finance: International Firms: South Korea – Band 1, Chambers Asia 2013
- Korean Deal of the Year - KEB Holdings sale in Korean Exchange Bank to Hana Financial Group, ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2012
- Best M&A Deal in Asia - KNOC’s acquisition of Dana Petroleum, FinanceAsia Awards 2010
- Private Equity Deal of the Year - Affinity and KKR LBO of Oriental Brewery, IFLR Asia Awards 2010
- Best Korea Deal - LG Display US$1.1bn block trade, FinanceAsia Awards 2008
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Affinity Equity Partners, Baring Private Equity, the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation and IMM Private Equity in their US$1.1bn investment in Kyobo Life Insurance;
- E-Land World Ltd., South Korea’s largest integrated fashion and retail company on its US$170m acquisition of K-Swiss, Inc., a US public footwear and retail company listed on the NASDAQ stock market via public tender offer;
- the Lenders (including KEXIM) on the US$1.4 billion financing of the expansion of the Jorf Lasfar coal-fired power station in Morocco - awarded Project Finance Power Deal of the Year Africa 2012, Project Finance Magazine and Project Finance Sponsor of the Year Africa 2012, Project Finance Magazine; and
- Korea Development Bank as credit lender in the landmark US$500m offering of hybrid securities by Doosan Infracore.