Linklaters and Webber Wentzel celebrate Alliance milestone - 5th year of success
In 2012, in a ground-breaking move, Webber Wentzel and Linklaters created a long-term formal collaborative Alliance. This month Webber Wentzel and Linklaters celebrate the 5 year anniversary of that Alliance.
The Alliance at a glance
The Alliance provides clients with a combination of legal expertise and geographic coverage which is unmatched by any other international or South Africa based law firm. It is the only legal offering to provide full service coverage across all the main legal systems in Africa (English/Dutch, French, Islamic and Portuguese) with 31 offices supporting clients worldwide as they invest into or out of Africa.
The success of working together through the Alliance is most evident in the complex Africa-related matters the Alliance has worked on, where a bespoke combination of relationships, skills and experience is often required. Since forming the Alliance, over 1000 lawyers across 31 offices have worked on over 500 Africa-related matters.
Together, both firms have advised on numerous headline M&A matters, such as advising Woolworths in respect of its ZAR 23 billion takeover of David Jones in Australia; Al Noor Hospitals Group Plc on the combination of Al Noor and Mediclinic International Ltd; and on Africa outbound investments of listed companies into the Eastern European property market. The Alliance has also added value in advising on banking and project finance matters in Africa where English and US law expertise are key; for example, with its work on the African Bank matter, the second curatorship of its kind under the South African Banks Act and unprecedented on the continent in terms of its scale.
Christo Els, Webber Wentzel Senior Partner, said:
"Having worked with Linklaters for over 40 years preceding the formal Alliance we were confident that the values of our firms were aligned and we were certain of the opportunities that formalising our relationship could bring. Over the past five years we have invested in our relationship and strategically built an incredible platform to ensure exceptional service wherever our clients do business. We are proud of what we have achieved in building our relationship to date and excited about what more we will achieve in the years to come."
Charlie Jacobs, Linklaters Chairman and Senior Partner, said:
“As a South African, I have real passion for our Alliance with Webber Wentzel. When we set out five years ago our vision was to be able to offer clients the best of both worlds – full service offerings from a leading global firm and from the top law firm in South Africa. As markets and our clients have evolved, the flexibility of this combination has become more relevant than ever, allowing us to mix and match talent from within the Alliance to service clients in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent, as well as worldwide.”
About Linklaters and Webber Wentzel
- Linklaters is a leading global law firm, supporting and investing in the future of our clients wherever they do business. We combine legal expertise with a collaborative and innovative approach to help clients navigate constantly evolving markets and regulatory environments, pursuing opportunities and managing risk worldwide.
- Our 5,200 people, of which almost half are lawyers, are located across 29 offices in 20 countries. In order to offer our clients the highest quality advice, our lawyers across three divisions; Corporate, Dispute Resolution and Finance and Projects, specialise in industry sectors as well as practice areas.
- Webber Wentzel is a leading South African full-service law firm providing clients with innovative solutions to their most complex legal and tax issues across Sub-Saharan Africa. With over 400 lawyers, our multi-disciplinary expertise is consistently ranked top-tier in leading directories and awards. Our collaborative Alliance with Linklaters, our association with ALN (Africa Legal Network), and our complementary network of best friend law firms across Africa provides clients with market-leading support wherever they do business.
About Linklaters’ Africa practice
- Linklaters and Webber Wentzel have 40 years’ experience of working on matters throughout Africa, helped by their unique ability to cover all of the principal legal systems through their offices in South Africa, London, Paris and Lisbon. These core offices are complemented by Africa experts across Linklaters’ other offices in Europe, Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and the Americas allowing the Alliance to service investors into Africa worldwide as well as African companies investing globally.
- The two Alliance firms are consistently ranked at the top of the league tables for work in Africa. Linklaters recently advised on Africa’s largest ever project financing, the $5bn financing of the US$40bn Coral LNG project, Mozambique, advising the sponsors; and both firms advised the South African Government on the world’s largest renewable energy programme, the 6000MW South Africa REIPP.
- Linklaters has been ranked No.1 by Dealogic for the past 6 years in the categories of Africa Infrastructure and Africa Project Finance. Together we are ranked Band 1 in 26 categories by Chambers and Partners (2017) for South Africa and Africa-wide - more than any other alliance or law firm.