Singapore is a hub of activity for Southeast Asia and Linklaters has been in Singapore for over 25 years. From this base we serve clients in Singapore as well as further afield across South and Southeast Asia. We are one of the few international firms to be awarded a qualifying foreign law practice (QFLP) licence by the Singapore Ministry of Law, allowing us to practice Singapore law as well as English and U.S. law.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- DBS Bank on the USD 10bn Establishment of their Global Covered Bond Programme – the first covered bond programme, both in Singapore and in Southeast Asia. Awarded Best New Bond, The Asset Triple A Regional House and Deal Awards 2015, Best Singapore Deal, FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2015 and Structured Finance & Securitisation Deal of the Year, IFLR Asia Awards 2016.
- United Overseas Bank on the establishment of their Reg S US$8bn Global Covered Bond Programme under which covered bond investors will have recourse to both the issuer and a portfolio of mortgage loan assets – the second covered bond programme, in both Singapore and Southeast Asia
- ANZ Bank in the sale to DBS Bank of ANZ's retail and wealth management businesses in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Taiwan
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on its acquisition of 40% shares in PT Bank Tabungan Pensiunan Nasional Tbk (BTPN), a commercial bank in Indonesia – the biggest acquisition of an Asian foreign financial firm by a Japanese bank and SMBC’s biggest purchase of a foreign financial firm to date
- DBS Bank Ltd. and Standard Chartered Bank on a US$455,750,000 sponsor backed leveraged acquisition financing for a special purpose company established by Baring Private Equity for the acquisition of SGX listed, Interplex Holdings Ltd
- Advent International Corporation on the leveraged acquisition financing for its acquisition of the companies comprising The LearningLab business in Singapore
- the sponsors, led by BP, on one of the largest and highest profile projects in Indonesia – the Tangguh LNG Train 3 Expansion Project
- Glencore, BP and SK on core aspects of the restructuring of the Jurong Aromatics Refinery (in receivership) in Singapore - a US$2.4bn PF financed aromatics refinery plant
Our standing in the region is reflected by our consistent top tier rankings across practices:
“Rated for its ‘high level of industry knowledge’ and ‘thoughtful commercial advice’, the team at Linklaters Singapore Pte. Ltd has a strong track record in banking and finance, acting for clients such as Barclays Capital, BNP Paribas, HSBC and J.P. Morgan.”
Band 1 – Legal 500 2016, Banking and finance (foreign firms): Singapore
“Excellent track record of handling big-ticket M&A and private equity deals for clients from a range of sectors, including financial services, insurance and consumer goods. Skilled in handling work involving multiple jurisdictions, with notable activity on transactions involving Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. An enviable client roster includes major corporations, banks and financial institutions”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2015, Corporate/M&A (International)