Clients value our local knowledge and depth of experience in the Thai market. Whether a deal involves international clients looking to invest in Thailand or Thai clients seeking opportunities abroad, we provide clients with the regional and global expertise needed to get the deal done.
From our office in Bangkok we advise across a range of practice areas including: banking, projects/energy & infrastructure, acquisition finance and real estate finance, capital markets, (including international securities advice and structured finance) and our corporate/M&A team, where our team is recognised as a market leader for all disciplines, including private equity.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Charoen Pokphand Group on its US$10.6bn acquisition of Tesco’s businesses in Thailand and Malaysia – the biggest corporate acquisition in Thailand’s history and one of the largest in Asia
- ING Bank, a major shareholder with a substantial stake in TMB Bank (TMB), on the business integration between TMB and Thanachart Bank, a leading commercial bank in Thailand. This is one of the largest mergers of financial institution businesses in Thailand historically
- Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) on its US$2.8bn sale of 99.17% shares in SCB Life Assurance to FWD Group, and a potential long-term bancassurance agreement in relation to life insurance products. This is the largest ever life insurance transaction in Southeast Asia in terms of total value and one of the largest ever in Asia
- Maxim's Caterers, a member of the Jardines Group, on the establishment of Coffee Concepts (Thailand) as a joint venture with affiliates of Fraser & Neave, and its US$683m acquisition of 100% of Starbucks Coffee (Thailand)
- the escrow agent on the THB 78bn IPO of Central Retail Corporation – Thailand’s largest ever IPO
- BBL Asset Management, as the fund manager, on the IPO of investment units, and the establishment, borrowing and initial investment of the Super Energy Power Plant Infrastructure Fund – the first solar power infrastructure fund in Thailand
- a consortium on the development, construction, operation and maintenance of the High Speed Rail linking three airports in Thailand. This is the largest project to be developed as part of Thailand's Eastern Economical Corridor of proposed infrastructure and other development projects
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
"They are very good in terms of the quality of their work" and "co-ordinate effectively between each other."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Banking & Finance: Thailand
“[The team has] in-depth and holistic understanding of Thai capital markets laws and regulations."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Capital Markets: Thailand
"Linklaters is very professional and can deliver quality work to a tight timeline. Its internal co-ordination within various offices is also smooth” and "they are able to keep up with international standards."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Corporate/M&A: Thailand
"We really appreciate their teamwork. They work hard around the clock."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Transportation: Thailand
"Their managing of schedules is a strength, and they prioritise well and deliver work on time. They possess pertinent knowledge and expertise."
Band 2 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Projects & Energy: Thailand
Linklaters operates in Thailand through Linklaters (Thailand) Ltd, an affiliate of Linklaters LLP.