Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations Partner, Hong Kong SAR
“I advise on cross-border dispute, international arbitration and complex commercial litigation, with significant experience in supporting banks, listed corporations and state-owned enterprises. I devise strategies to resolve potential disputes before they become damaging for businesses.”
Education and qualifications
Justin has significant experience in advising on China-related cross-border commercial disputes for corporates, banks and state-owned enterprises.
His practice covers international arbitration, complex commercial litigation and insolvency related litigation in jurisdictions such as Hong Kong, Singapore, PRC and BVI, with a particular focus on China-related disputes and arbitrations. He has particular expertise in advising on shareholders and joint venture disputes, insolvency proceedings, disputes with activists or minority shareholders, and urgent asset tracing and injunction applications.
Justin is a solicitor advocate with full rights of audience in the Hong Kong courts in respect of civil matters, and has appeared and advocated before Tribunals in English and Mandarin.
His recent experience includes representing:
- a Kuala Lumpur-listed corporation in HKIAC arbitration proceedings against PRC counterparties in respect of a claim for RMB1bn, including obtaining an RMB800m asset freezing order in the Mainland under the PRC-HK Arrangement on Interim Measures
- a Hong Kong listed mining company in an HKIAC arbitration commenced by an international mining company concerning the ownership and operations of a US$50m copper mine project in Africa
- a Hong Kong based shareholder in multiple sets of court proceedings resisting potential unfair prejudice claims in a shareholders’ dispute that arose out of a joint venture agreement relating to the Southeast Asian businesses of an international well-known sportswear brand
- a Hong Kong-listed bank on a shareholders’ dispute with a US-based hedge fund and potential unfair prejudice claims
Banking and fund litigation
- a Hong Kong listed bank in defending constructive trustee and dishonest assistance claims exceeding HK$350m brought in the Hong Kong courts by the liquidators of a well-known group of companies
- the general partner in Hong Kong court proceedings in disputes with the limited partner concerning certain investments made under the Limited Partnership Agreement and the Investment Management Agreement
Insolvency related litigation
- a large Chinese fund management company in multiple litigations in connection with loans and bank guarantees, including liquidation and enforcement proceedings in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands
- an international investment fund on the restructuring and refinancing of the financial indebtedness of the acquisition entities of a French manufacturer of luxury crystal goods, including representing the client in Hong Kong enforcement proceedings
Education and qualifications
Justin holds both a Bachelor of Laws and Master of Laws from the University of Hong Kong, where he also graduated with the Bachelor of Social Sciences in Government & Law and completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws.
He is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.