Capital Markets Partner, London
“I specialise in the acquisition, disposal and financing of financial assets, including advising purchasers and sellers on some of the largest and most complex performing and non-performing loan portfolio sales and sponsors and arrangers on asset-backed public and private financing.”
Education and qualifications
Tom is a finance partner based in the firm’s structured finance team in London. He has a diverse finance and financial asset practice with a particular specialisation in loan portfolio sales and securitisation.
In 2019, Tom was seconded as senior European lawyer to a private equity firm which invests in portfolios of financial assets. He co-heads the firm’s pro bono social finance practice.
Tom has worked on some of the most complex and innovative transactions, including advising:
- Cerberus on the £4bn TPMF 2019-Granite4 UK (RMBS), TPMF 2019-Granite5 (Unsecured) and £640m TPMF 2019-Vantage2 (RMBS) securitisations in 2019
- Cerberus on the acquisition financings for GE Money Bank in France
- various financial sponsors on the acquisition and disposal and financing of portfolios of financial assets in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Spain and Portugal
- a large UK bank on the implications of UK ring-fencing legislation for its structured debt business
- Assured Guaranty on its Transferrable Custody Receipt programme and other bond financial guarantee and liquidity guarantee products across a range of sectors
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners on its acquisition of a majority stake in a Portuguese telecom towers business
- Visa Europe on an innovative special purpose structure in respect of existing Visa Europe members of its €21bn sale to Visa Inc.
- Cerberus on the acquisition of a £13bn portfolio of mortgage loans and other loan assets from UK Asset Resolution and of NRAM plc, the former Northern Rock mortgage business
- Allia, a social finance intermediary, in respect of its Retail Charity Bond Programme
Tom speaks regularly at conferences. In 2019 he was a panellist at the Global ABS Conference in Barcelona, speaking about the impact of developing technologies on the securitisation market. In February 2020, he is due to speak at the European DataWarehouse conference as the panel legal expert on topics ranging from Brexit and its implications for securitisation to ESG.
Tom is passionate about innovation in the legal market and is a leader of the firm’s ongoing initiatives to be at the forefront of legal innovation and efficiency. He sponsors the firms coding club and as an associate was seconded to the firm’s business improvement team to apply process mapping techniques to enhance the quality and efficiency of our client service. He has a keen interest in the impact which blockchain, machine learning and other technologies will have on the securitisation market.
He co-chairs the firms social finance practice and enjoys the opportunity to apply his legal expertise to channel capital to tackle charitable and socially important goals.
Education and qualifications
Tom studied Law at Christ’s College, Cambridge.
He also has an MBA with Distinction from London Business School (with a focus on strategy, leadership, decision making and change management). He holds the APMP qualification in project management from APM, the chartered body for the project management profession.